Red Velvet Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

So I have a couple of rocks growing a new type of algae. Looks like red velvet. It is definitely not cyano and does not act like it. Cant be brushed off. Any idea what it is?

does it look just like this on this rock?
it is it hard?
if soo I have ton's of it
I don't have a problem with it and it is harmless.
I belive it is another type of coraline algae.
dec14012.jpg

I had some algae that looked like that. I added a powder blue tang that loves the stuff.It spread slowly untill the powder blue was added, now it just exists in check.

What I have seems to be fuzzy almost like velvet cloth. The picture looks like it is hard and smooth like coraline. Is yours fuzzy looking?

It is hard to find a powder Blue that is healthy. I have a yellow eye tang, but he does not touch it.

no mine looks just like coraline but rock hard and deep purple..
not fuzzy.
Sound to me like you have another type of hair algae..
SNAILS and tangs and emerald crabs should make quick work of it..

Yes my algae is like red/purple velvet, fuzzy looking. It did not bother me & we did not add the powder blue to combat the algae. Yes powder blues are hard to keep, maybe they need that fuzzy algae to be happy. Algae is mowed flat & even eradicated in most areas.

Algae

It looks to me like you have alot of algae that would make most any Tang QUITE HAPPY also most dwarf Angels if they would fit with the rest of group.

Todd

i used to get that in my tank a year ago from tap water befor i started using rodi water,

thats wat it looks like to me.

I use to have it also, from what I read (and confirmed at BR) only mexican turbo snails will eat it. I bought a couple and haven't seen it since, except in my sump. I need to move one down there, I'm lazy. :)

Back