Redox Powder

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dr. Dee

Free your mind
When organic material in your aquarium builds up and and
decompose the amount of dissolved organic matter in the water increases rapidly.This results in lower dissolved oxygen levels and a substantially lower redox potential.
(True) or (False) So what is best to use ozone or redox powder if you can find it,Or should be water changes from the kern river:D

True to a degree Dee. Some tanks that are well run do not really need ozone but it dose not hurt and is still more of a + than a -. It took me 2 years to get Randy to use ozone, after saying repeatedly one should not use ozone. Now he will not stop using it :D Now he says no to redox powder also but has never used it either. We used allot of it in the Thiel days and it worked fine. Yoiu just need to be careful with it. I would rather see one not use and use ozone instead. Don't forget what it really is, Potassium Permanganate, KMnO4 and it may be way to much K+ and Mn++ added to a tank.

Thanks Boomer that makes me feel alot better,because i rather use ozone and also its good that someone knows about the thiel days:D

You can also use hydrogen peroxide. But be at least as careful as when using potassium permangenate. I have done this short term, to buy some time until the system was able to catch up with the organic nutrient load.

Yah Don one can do that but you better having a O2 kit ready and know what you are doing. H2O2 goes to O2 like right now. That is why it is often used as a fish saver for when power is out or for a bait-minnow safer.

Last edited:
This is a new one on me. Potassium Permanganate is a very powerful oxidizer. Using Potassium Permanganate in a tank sounds extremely dangerous. I have heard some use it with some success as a Acropora Nudibrach killer, but only in external dips at 50mg/L.

Could someone post a link how it was used?

Now there are lots cool things that one can do with Potassium Permanganate, but that has nothing to do with fish tanks. Boomer would know about those.

Now there are lots cool things that one can do with Potassium Permanganate, but that has nothing to do with fish tanks. Boomer would know about those.

Are you into starting fires or coke? LOL

This has been used for years. In fact, Kent Marine sells this in a diluted version called Poly-Ox but it's liquid....no explosions or fire with that product. :D

You can have some fun with methylene blue too. I still remember a friend from college completely freaked out after they had a little too much to drink. I'm pretty mean when it comes to practical jokes.

I still have a old bottle of redox+ cant make out the instructions any more nor do I know why I still have it, but it was great for cyano in our old FO tank.

Don

I still have a old bottle of redox+ cant make out the instructions any more nor do I know why I still have it, but it was great for cyano in our old FO tank.

Don

Thats so cool Don because i used some before and believe it or not it got rid of ICK :doubt: And Cyano but ozone is better
and safer than that stuff.:D

Back