Reef Crystals alk, mg and CA levels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

I'm having difficulty finding any kind of information on how Reef Crystals tests when mixed up. I want to get an idea of what I'll have to buffer for in the future when I do water changes. I know there's had to have been a test or thread discussing this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

With RC I dont think you'll have to add anything to the fresh mix. Thats supposed to be the difference.

Don

that'd be great actually. i'll probably still test for mg, alk and ca just so I know for sure. I've got a water change mixing right now so I can post those numbers in the morning when I do that.

you know i have been reading a thread in RC about salts :p because it seems like people would rather buy salt and stop having to buy additives ( which i think it'd be freaking awesome if that day would come :p:D )

If i remember good... they said that reef crystals and I.O. were good because their consistency of having the same water parameters everytime they checked but that still they didn't have the Calcium at 420 so that you'd still have to add to increase it.

they were also saying this salt is good ......darn it i wish i could find that thread :p.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ..._-Salt_Mixes&ref=3969&subref=AA&N=2004+113009

I tested my RC make up water last water change for kicks

Salifert and I mix at 1.026

Calcium- 425
Alk-11
Mag-1300

it had been over a year since i tested my makeup water and that alk number was 2 points higher than it typically used to test for me and the mag was 200 points higher than it used to test. I used to be much more OCD and would test the make up water all the time.

At 1.025 SG and about 76 degrees after approx 18 hours of mixing my reef crystal mix had the following:

Alk = 11.5dkh
CA = 375ppm
MG = 1175ppm

Nothing really scares me too much except the MG reading. Being that low, it would need to be supplemented.

The max limit one should have is 11 dkH and you are over that. And 11 dHK is 1.5 x NSW. Having a Alk that high is looking for trouble, as it will increase the want/rate of CaCO3 to leave solution more readily. There is not need to run a Alk that high. Runnig it more like 9-10 is better. And the only reason behind running a much higher Alk than NSW like 9-10 is to as "some say" it increases coral growth rate and increases colors. Some also have problems with RTN at high Alk's yet others don't.

Alk = 11.5dkh
CA = 375ppm
MG = 1175ppm

There have been some reports of RC being no better than IO, which is about what you got here. A more common RC mix rate is 3/4 cup per gallon to give a SG of 1.0265, calcium 420 ppm, alk 11-12 dkh and magnesium 1260 ppm.

hey Boomer do you know anything about the salt in the link i posted?
I have heard is a very good salt ...even better than I.O.:shock: :p or if anyone has ever used it, what did you like about the salt or dislike ?

That Inland study is more or less on heavy and toxic metals, what you SHLOULD be concerned about. A salt should ot be judged on Ca++ or Mg +++ as it is meaningless.

How to convert; Go here

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=saltaquarium&cdn=homegarden&tm=3&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.ktf-split.hr/periodni/en/

Put mouse arrow over element so you know what it is, .i.e., Ca = Calcium You do not want to confuse, for example, Boron with Barium ? Look at the Molecular Weight. i.e Calcium is 40.078. Take the value in the sea mix table and x it times that, i.e., NSW 10.3 x 40.78 = 412.8134 ppm and for IO is 9 x 40.78 = 360.702.

The last 3 in "blue" are going to confuse you kinda. These are not elements but "salts". It is still the same and easy

SO4

S = 32.066

O = 15.99 and there are 4 of them, so 15.99 x 4 = 63.96

now add them up 32.066 + 63.96 = 96.026

so, 96.026 x 28 = 2,688.728 ppm SO4 or sulfate.

And no I'm not going to convert them all for you :D

Back