Reef Growing 10 times faster?? Thoughts...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WA coral

im watching you
I read something the other day while I was at the dentist ( great fun) It was an article about depleting reefs around the world and some of the things that were being done to help the reefs.. This article said in Bali and 2 other places they were making metal skeletons and sending an electric current through it (approx the amount to light a light bulb) They did not give the exact specs on the current in volts or amps which I would have liked to know but according to these scientists it helps corals grow 10 TIMES FASTER as it helps them speed up the calcium carbonate deposits for their skeletons. Also there is plans to use this Idea in 10 more areas very soon because of the great results.. Has anyone else heard of this idea?? or tried it?? or have any other info about it?? I would love to give it a go in a frag tank but I dont think dropping 110 in the tank is going to cut it so I need the specs on the current or ideas ,thoughts

Last edited:
Theyve been creating biorock mini reefs for years now. The juice going through the frame causes limestone to build on the frame very quickly. This is dc and done with solar panels.

Don

If we could get more info on it, it would be kind of nice to try:)

-augustus

Go for it.:) It works but you have to be patient. If you use a old Ti heater it will take at least a year to get a full 1/2" of ca precip @ 3vdc. Upping the voltage to 5v will not speed the process so keep it low. Then you can start sticking frags on it.

Don

I mean there has to be a down side to this I cant see it being something that works wonders with no side effects..

Matt

I mean there has to be a down side to this I cant see it being something that works wonders with no side effects..

Matt

No it workswith no ill effect. The problem is it takes a long time. It also cost quite abit to build a Ti frame. I tried it with a old heater and got tired of waiting, the ADD got the best of the experiment.

Don

so what you do is build a frame with Titanium and then mount all your corals on the frame? then they will (hopefully) grow in and cover all the metal..

Is this what you would be shooting for if you were to do this?

Matt

Ok I get the 3 volts dc but a ti frame? I dont think that was the material that they used for this application isnt there a cheaper material that is safe? also what did you mean by ( it will take a full year of ca precip before you can stick frags on it) does this mean you have to let calcium build up on the metal before you mount frags? or can you just mount them. I thought I could use a sturdy wire and wrap it around small frags so they could over grow the wire and be fragged and keep growing.

so what you do is build a frame with Titanium and then mount all your corals on the frame? then they will (hopefully) grow in and cover all the metal..

Is this what you would be shooting for if you were to do this?

Matt

You build a ti frame with no intersections touching. Feed it 3vdc constantly. Let it cover with calcium basicly turn to a rock covered frame. Then attach the corals without glue.

Don

I dont think there is any kind of wire that is safe in saltwater, it is way to corossive..
I think Ti is the only metal that will work in this application..

Matt

Ok I get the 3 volts dc but a ti frame? I dont think that was the material that they used for this application isnt there a cheaper material that is safe? also what did you mean by ( it will take a full year of ca precip before you can stick frags on it) does this mean you have to let calcium build up on the metal before you mount frags? or can you just mount them. I thought I could use a sturdy wire and wrap it around small frags so they could over grow the wire and be fragged and keep growing.

A piece of wire would last a week in your tank. Copper wire would poisen the tank. Stainless will rot away. That just leave Ti.
You have to keep in mind that we have a closed system. You can sink a metal ship in the ocean without it hurting anything. Do that in a closed system you'll have loads of trouble.
Yes you have to wait for the build up.

Don

So I have a dc converter it is adjustable and plugs into 110 it has a range from 1.0 to 9 volts dc for charging various things will this work? also if the wire is wraped around the frag wouldnt that be basicly like Ca on the frame ?

So I have a dc converter it is adjustable and plugs into 110 it has a range from 1.0 to 9 volts dc for charging various things will this work? also if the wire is wraped around the frag wouldnt that be basicly like Ca on the frame ?

No its not that simple. You have to build the eletronics in order to connect the dc to the frame. The frame is the anode that provides the surface area.

Don

Back