Reef Growing 10 times faster?? Thoughts...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

this would be cool to try in an experimental tank in the garage or something but it isnt very practical in your show reef..

Matt

They are using the same technique to build reefs off the Palm Islands in Dubai for diving and snorkeling

There is a gadget for salmon fishermen that you attach to your downrigger cable. That allows you to dial in a specific voltage, plus or minus to counteract the natural charge in the boat from electronics. Supposedly different types of fish are attracted to different voltages. I can't remember what the range is. It is pretty precise though. Runs on batteries or 12 volts.If it went to 3 volts it could be a good source of power.

That would be great don I am probably not to far from you anyway just in south tacoma, so whenever you get a chance. I was thinking of just to get the ca started on thr frame to use a 5 gallon bucket with a very high concentration of ca in it with no corals or fish to speed up the process?

There is a gadget for salmon fishermen that you attach to your downrigger cable. That allows you to dial in a specific voltage, plus or minus to counteract the natural charge in the boat from electronics. Supposedly different types of fish are attracted to different voltages. I can't remember what the range is. It is pretty precise though. Runs on batteries or 12 volts.If it went to 3 volts it could be a good source of power.

Yup its called a pro troll. Mine ranges from .001vdc to 1.0vdc. Dont know if thats enough sure hasnt made me catch any more fish.:)

Don

so, if i tried this out. for the first year while the Ca was encrusting the Ti. would there need to be lights or heat. or even water changes.. aside from top off and Ca additions?

FYI,

Titanium wire is certainly available as it is used in a process called, "Electrophoresis." We purchase it at about $30 a linear foot, so it is a bit pricey!!

Hey folks, you keep saying that titanium is expensive... Why don't you try platinum? :)
Actually, I just thought a titanium bicycle frame might be cheaper (that is, if you got a wrecked bicycle). It would have to have paint cleaned off, but it would provide lot of metal if you can find one for cheap.

I found the best place to buy this Ti!!
try titaniumjoe.com
he sells 3/8th'' Ti tubing for $1.59 per inch so that is only $19.02 per ft..

I found it to be 40-50 bucks a foot everywhere else..

Matt

I thought I would use Ti wire instead of tubeing and lay that on a plastic frame and then put just the frame in a high Ca concentrate h2o in a bucket with some flow and light for a while this may speed it up due to the small wire and Ca rich h2o conditions, I have still heard that they have wraped wire around the coral instead of using the Ca base might give that a try as well

Back