Reef Keeper 2 Users

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meitzler

fraggy
Looking for someone who has experience with the Reefkeeper 2. Were you able to set it up to record data to a website or gain Internet access?

I am at work, or I would drop some knowledge, I am bumping this so I can reply coherently when I get home, stay tuned man

I use the RK2 but do not know if you can download info. I will be following for more responses.

DB

They just came out with some new software (beta currently) that will log data from the RF2. Not sure how much I'm going to like it since it will require the PC connected at all times to gather data from the unit via a serial connection. I've heard of some using a serial to ethernet adapter and then using desktop PC to capture the data. Not sure how that works.

Here's a link to there site with some more info. Just click on the Download it now link. The new beta software is called MyReef and will require 2.4 firmware.

HTH.

For those who use it, are you satisfied with it. Do you need a computer to program it, or can you do it directly on the controller. To turn off a channel must you go through a sequence of menus or is it one or two buttons.

I guess there are only a few Reef Keeper 2 users in the Reef Frontier community.

TheJ: I am really interested in your input.

I may go with Neptune since the user based appears larger and they have an establish record on connecting with computers via ethernet. The RK2 and Aqua Junior appear to be about the same price.

I have one in my tank and I love it!, extremely easy to use. I haven't had a chance to play with the new software yet but indeed it requires a computer running 24/7 to log the stats, that is why it is recommended to get a dedicated computer for it (an old laptop would be perfect).

As it was mentioned before myReef is still a beta version but Digital Aquatics is working really hard to get it "bug-free". Check out their sub forum at reef central for more information.

Last edited:
computers have a longer life span if u run them 24/7 and keep the fans clean

havent seen the controler but would like to see stuff like that in a shop near me

I've heard of some using a serial to ethernet adapter and then using desktop PC to capture the data. Not sure how that works.

Indeed! Serial to Ethernet or wifi is a route, also, serial to bluetooth is a solution that seems to be working well also. There is also a serial to wifi to serial method, which simply sends the rs232 over the air to another rs232, so no fancy hacking required.

Eggplant from RC has blogged his solution to this issue here: http://reef.pantshead.com/?p=383#more-383
Please do take a second to review the entry, he lays out his geek-fu very well, and this is an excellent way to understand the geek/hack side of things. You do not need to do this if you are using digital aquatics' MyReef software, but damn that man has skills.

These are all expensive solutions to the end result: keeping your PC hooked up to the rk2 at all times to log data. Thats all this connection is doing however, logging data like temp, timers (lights, wavemaker), PH, channel on/off, etc.

their new back end software adds some fun things like reef cams and such, that highlight the ability to keep a pc connected to your reef at all times. It also includes an integrated web server so you can view your RK2 remotely. Unfortunately, their PC software only runs on windows and is currently beta, but their RK2 firmware 2.4 is solid and I trust my reef to it.

As far as setup, the process is extremely simple and might take you 30-45 mins to setup including timers and conditions for lights, heaters, fans, skimmer/pump standby, and wave timers if you need them

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the rk2, I have had 0 issues, and my tank has never been so stable (temp, ph, timers). I plan on hooking up a PC for data logging and reef cam action soon, it will consist of:

Old PII 500mhz proc
256mb ram
10gb HD
windows 2000 w/myreef software
pci wifi card (wpa/tkip)

The whole solution should run about 100$ if you need to buy the pc parts and the wifi card. Luckily, I have this kind of crap laying around, its my other hobby :)

Sorry again for slacking on this so long, I totally forgot!

Thanks theJ. Excellent info. They show a e-mail alarm on the beta MyReef software which would be an excellent feature, but I have not seen anyone reporting using it at this time. I am struggling between the RK2 and AC3. The AC3 has all of the network communications already incorporated into it including e-mail alarms and web access. Does the RK2 have a standard serial connector. Thanks again.

Yup it has a standard rs232 serial connector, just like the back of your PC (a lot of PCs anyway :p)

The RK2 does have an email alert feature, and a schedule app built in, so you can send yourself email reminders like change your carbon every 3 days, time to buy new MH bulbs every 6mo.

About the email side of things, currently in myreef beta 1 they didnt account for a spot to put login information to log into a secure email server.. this kind of kills that feature I think, for the time being. Keep in mind though it is beta, so they are working on it.

They (Digital Aquatics) have a thread elsewhere that they use to interact with customers directly, I personally dont know of any other controller brands that do that, but I could be wrong. This is for sure one of the things that helped me to make the decision to go with the rk2. You can find that thread on the top of their support page: http://digitalaquatics.com/support.html

buteos, that temp probe will open doors for you man, being able to turn fans/heaters/lights on and off based on tank temp is money!!

I have a reefkeeper 2 and I am just about to set it up on my system. My question is regarding the wiring. My dilema is that I have my sump in my garage about 25 feet away from the tank. I want to install the reefkeeper II display near my tank and run the lights, and PH and temp Probes, but I want to control the main return pump in the sump.

I bought the expansion module thinking I can plug it in near the sump, but I am not sure how it connects. Do I buy a cat 5 cable and run it 25' from the display unit to the expansion module? Does the long run of cable affect it in an negative way?

Does anyone have experience with this type of set up?

(sorry to tag on to your thread, but thought this might be of interest to your thread readers)

My tank is about six months old now and I installed the RK2 on it from the beginning. I really don't know what I would do without it. I currently control the lights, temperature, and powerheads with it. I've got it programmed to shut the lights down in the event that the water temperature gets too high, although that hasn't happened yet.

I don't have the expansion module, but believe that it connects to the main module through a special expansion cable that is only three feet long. I'm not sure if it's possible to swap it out with a longer wire. I don't believe that they use standard Cat 5 cable from the description.

They have announced a newer Reefkeeper Elite that appears to contain Wifi connectivity, although for a significant increase in price. I'm not personally interested in monitoring real time statistics, but that's just me. In general, I've found it to be a great product that does everything that it's advertised to do.

Back