Reef Keeper 2 Users

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am told the Cat5 connecting cable is not reliable at increased lengths (like my 25'). I don't know much about Cat5, but does that sound right?

In a standard networking environment, Cat5 and Cat5e cable can extend up to 100 meter runs. I am not sure what the signal strength of Digital Aquatics implementation, but the RK2 manual (page 3_1) clearly says that Cat5 cable can be used to extend cable lengths. Email DA to see if there is a limit, but 25' is not long for Cat5.

The only thing I would caution is to not run a networking cable next to/along electrical conduit. The minor electro-magnetic field associated with the high voltage wires in conduit could disturb the low voltage flow in the Cat5.

HTH.

I'm sorry, re-reading your post leads me to believe you want the Expansion Module to be located at your sump while the Main Module is at your tank? I initially thought that we were talking about the cable that goes from the Main Module to the Display.

You should contact DA. The communication cable of the Expansion Module may be fixed at 1 meter. What does the Expansion Module manual say?

I don't think it even came with a manual and DA seems reluctant to give me suggestions since it is a little out of the ordinary.

At this point I may just try it and see how it works. If it doesn't then I will just use the reefkeeper II at one location only.

Back