Reef Octopus NWB 110 skimmer pump out. Replacement ideas?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lbrewer34

My skimmer pump went out on my Reef Octopus and I need a replacement. Anyone know if upgrading to a bigger pump will cause any issues? the pump that went out is the otp 1000 pinwheel (250GPH), and I found an otp 2000 (500GPH)and otp 3000 (750 GPH) that look like they will swap out no problem.
Also, any ideas on how to keep the softies happy? I didn't realize the skimmer was out for about a week and a half so now all my softies are starting to die off. they are keeping their color, but I'm starting to some of the calcium skeletons. I've been doing 50% water changes every few days and I'm running some charcoal. Last night the nitrates were around 40-50 ppm before the water change.

Thanks,

Lee

don't think the skimmer was saving the softies from the nitrates, youve done some big water changes and the trates are still so high? I would be checking my change water before use something isn't kosher. As to the pump? if it will fit ok but you might have to fiddle with flow/air/height etc, higher gph could make it tricky and you may have to choke back the pump, what happened with the original?

the small neck/body on that skimmer wont accept more air/water processing from the otp2000, or otp3000.
i would stick with the otp 1000, but upgrade to the pinwheel impeller.
also, keep in mind there are 3 versions of this pump for octopus skimmers, so u need to know exactly which you have..
if you cant figure it out, post a pic and ill tell you.

Just stopped out of the blue. I took it all apart and got it running again, but its a little finicky. I had to take off one of the bushings that go into the back plate. It seemed like it was binding it up. Ill check the change water tomorrow and see if that is where the problem is. The die off has happened pretty quickly, within a week to a week and a half, and the skimmer going out was the only real change. The only other thing I have done differently was put a few fresh salmon eggs for the fish, but have only done that two or three times. All the eggs were from fresh caught salmon that day.
Thanks for the advice,
Lee

Thats what I thought, but I thought I'd check to see. Should have listened to you a few months ago and gone with the SWC. Live and learn I guess.

Back