Reef Octopus Pump Upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mungus

I am looking at replacing the OTP pump my RO skimmer came with. I have been thinking about going with the genx 4100 and modifying it with a thread wheel impeller or I could buy the sp4 (euroreefs modified genx 4100). :confused: The cost on the euroreef is about 3 times the cost of the regular 4100. The reason for doing this is that I broke the 90 coming out of the pump during maintenance and would like to replace all the metric plumbing with imperial. I would also like to mount the pump deltec style. Any advise on cutting out the old plumbing and replacing it with new would also be greatly appreciated. If I can I would like to stay away from the uniseal. If there is a way to attach unions similar to what is currently on it I would like to go that route if possible.

Thanks
Brian

I have two gex-x 4100 needle wheel pumps, one have the venturi & was used several months while trying to make my skimmer work, the other pump was damaged on the outside, the handle was broken off & a few place around the outer pump housing but was ran about 1 or 2 hours for testing it still runs well. I don't like neither pumps I consider them loud & inefficient. Skimmerwhispher said he wanted them but haven't heard from him in a week, I'll give him a pm & see whats up if he wants them or not, otherwise I'll sell them both for $50 plus the shipping. It cost $18.45 to Seattle area so that would of been around $68.45 for the two pumps, I don't know what it would cost to Wisconsin, if your interested pm me, I'll have to open the box to take pictures as I packed it already but would do it to make sure of what your getting up front.

I am going to go with the genx pumps from scooty. I am still looking for advise on how to attach the new plumbing to the skimmer and how to remove the old plumbing. Here is a picture of one so you can see what I am dealing with.
Skimmer%20DNW-200%201.jpg

Can I use a standard hole saw to make the larger holes in the acrylic tube? How would I make sure that the saw stayed centered? What weldon would I use to bond the acrylic tube to the pvc? I currently have 16 & 4 but I am not sure if these would work properly.

Thanks
Brian

I had to drill mine bigger when I upgraded to the Sedra 9000, it was a pain, I'm sure there has to be a better way!

did you try any of the mods for the octopus first??
i think you would get better performance from modding your current pump/plumbing.
but if you do get those gen x pumps from scooty then spend $50 and get a real euroreef needle wheel impellar for it, and mabye even spring for the euroreef venturi. thats what i was going to do:)
here's the link to the octopus skimmer mods, and a link to where you would buy the nw for the gen-x 4100 from euroreef.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=898776

http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stores/stores/33/product1.aspx?SID=33&Product_ID=505&Category_ID=627

and as far as your plumbing is concerned i would most likely leave the existing metric unions on the skimmer body and then salvage the other half of the unions from the pump plumbing then attemp to couple them to the new pump(either via dremel or heating and streching your plumbing parts to fit the metric). you may run into problems with differences in pump height and size though. also, i would avoid trying to reconnect the pump deltec style, that acrylic wont take it unless you do a plastic band around the skimmer body where the pump connects to it, like h&s. it's chinese acrylic, your much better off resting the pump on the bottom plate to remove the stress from the skimmer body.

Last edited:
did you try any of the mods for the octopus first??
i think you would get better performance from modding your current pump/plumbing.
but if you do get those gen x pumps from scooty then spend $50 and get a real euroreef needle wheel impellar for it, and mabye even spring for the euroreef venturi. thats what i was going to do:)
here's the link to the octopus skimmer mods, and a link to where you would buy the nw for the gen-x 4100 from euroreef.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=898776

http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stores/stores/33/product1.aspx?SID=33&Product_ID=505&Category_ID=627

and as far as your plumbing is concerned i would most likely leave the existing metric unions on the skimmer body and then salvage the other half of the unions from the pump plumbing then attemp to couple them to the new pump(either via dremel or heating and streching your plumbing parts to fit the metric). you may run into problems with differences in pump height and size though. also, i would avoid trying to reconnect the pump deltec style, that acrylic wont take it unless you do a plastic band around the skimmer body where the pump connects to it, like h&s. it's chinese acrylic, your much better off resting the pump on the bottom plate to remove the stress from the skimmer body.

Hey Mark!! Yeah I did do some of the mods. Actually I did all the mods except the GG. It did make a tremendous improvement in the amount of air entering the skimmer. I also made all of the changes that you recomended to me also. I am now getting a tiny bit of skimmate but nothing like I should. It is really weird because the skimmer chamber is now completely white with tiny bubbles. I know something is not right because my tank is loaded with tiny detritus particles. The foam is just not pushing up into the cup and rising the way it should. I also have to set the water level much higher than I have seen other peoples set at to get anything at all.

Is it possible there is something in the water that is messing it up? Oil? I have never had great skimmate production since I have changed over to my current tank. I am feeding omega 1 flakes, nori, and frozen krill. Any ideas as what to try?

Brian

BTW if I used the genx pumps I was going to mod the impeller to the mesh wheel like magvi is using.

Brian

the mesh it's the best mod , i am going to get some new sample and i will let you know :)

You guys should split the cost & each get a pump:)

Brian, how big is your chamber? I think a few things not good with the Needle wheel pumps was the Venturi & needle, I guess Euro-reef modded these to make the pumps way better because I didn't like what I have as is & I'm sure ER would of had major complaints if the pumps worked like these. The Sedra I have looks very similar to the Gen-x, maybe they use the same pump & changed some of the parts, who knows. All I know the Sedra 9000 really kicks compared to the Gen-x's!

the mesh it's the best mod , i am going to get some new sample and i will let you know :)

That sounds great mavgi. I can't wait to here the results.

Scooterman said:
Brian, how big is your chamber?

The reaction chamber is just under 8" wide x apx 22" high.

I noticed on the euro-reef site they are selling the volute and venturi combo for $26. I think I am going to go ahead and order it. I have heard that the SP4 volute is a huge improvement over the stock.

Brian

yes, the er volute allows alot more water because of it's size, which in turn allows it to suck more air.
it's kinda odd your not experiencing better results after the octo mods...
where exactly is the water level in the skimmer? mabye a pic...

Last edited:
are you still using dls or did you switch to enkamat?

the correct name it's enkamat (dls it's include the polyester filter material )

ATI use the same raw but different layer i am waiting now for new sample and i will make some test then i will order big quantity for that.
the perform with this mesh better then any pinwheel it's amazed how simple mod can perform , i remember when i try this at the begin i didn't believe that it's my skimmer working under my sump :)

Hey Michael did kentrobs mesh wheel thread get the boot? I could not find it today.

Just a small update. I have been ill for the last 2 weeks. My wife also hurt her back and was taken to the hospital a week ago Sunday, so I have had no motivation to do much of anything other than work and take care of the 3 little ones.

I got the pumps from Scooty last week. They look good. Thanks man!!!

I also found that I had never changed out my feed pump to the maxi jet 600.:rolleyes: It seems like the sen 300 was not working properly. The maxi jet 600 is pumping a lot more water through the skimmer. :confused: I have yet to get any foam head at all since I switched the feed pump. I may have to much air (from all the mods) at this point because there is a ton of turbulence in the skimmer neck. I really need to hook up a flow meter to find out where I am at. I will try to get picts up as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your help.

Brian

Hi Brian

first i wish for your wife a lot of health and hope she will feel well very soon ,
a lot of bless from god and me .

The mod creat a lot of air & turbulence to there is a way to male bubble diffuser if i will have a time i will do it and show you how it's work. if it's to much you can take 1 layer out .but i want to see picture of that.

the thread still on:)

Last edited:
Hi Brian

first i wish for your wife a lot of health and hope she will feel well very soon ,
a lot of bless from god and me .

Thanks I really appreciate it!! I am getting close to 100% and my wife said this morning was the best her back has felt since she hurt it.

I have not put the mesh in yet, but I will be doing that as soon as it arrives.:D

I came home last night from work and I had some foam, more so than I was getting with the sen. Maybe the new maxi jet had some manufacturing oils on it because the turbulence is gone.

I also found my flow meter and the results were shocking. The RO pump is currently only pulling 10 scfh on average. It bounces between 10 - 15 but stays more consistently toward 10. It should be pulling a lot more.

I am wondering if I should add the mesh first and see where I am at or should I go ahead and do the mesh and a venturi at the same time? The venturi would look something like this, but would be added to the intake of the pump.
8543imagdne1.jpg

Credit for this design goes to Spazz and kentrob11.

Thanks Again
Brian

happy to hear you an your wife feel better and wish for you and your wife the best:)

i suggest first to make the mod before you do the venturi , the true it's i don't know if the venturi like it's look in the picture will perform better i am not sure but i think if it's will be flat in it's can work better .

to know that need ot test both option but just after the mesh run 2-3 day on the pump because after it's spin day or 2 it will increase about 2-3 lpm.

i post to about bubble diffuser in the thread easy and cheap way to mod and i will try it to :)

Michael I got the mesh today!!!:D I wanted to say thank you very much!! I can't believe the big chunk you sent. It is really great to have people like you in this hobby. You have definetly helped out a lot of people. I give you alot of credit for going through all that work to help people improve their skimmers.

I will cut off my pins tonight and add 3 layers of mesh. I will take pictures so you can see what it looks like. I will also post the new flow rates after the mod.

I will definatly check out that bubble diffuser!!

Thanks Again

Brian

Hi Brian

yesterday i make more test on the pump and i find out as i thought when i put the air pipe crossing the air intake like kent make the pump drop from 25LPM to 22LPM , if you will decide to change it don't cross the air intake make it flat inside .

best regards
michael

Back