Reef programers/ computers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
I have been wondering why no one has come up with a computer or controller that would do all your lighting and lunar cycles along with currents and temps over a year long cycle? Something that would change the length of day, storms , cloudy days, lunar cycles , lighting cycles and such to replicate the real ocean cycles to help enhance the coral and fish breeding and such. Just one controller that would do it all. They make parking lot lighting that goes by what part of the world you live in to turn the lights on and off, why not a controller to mimic the light and lunar cycles and temp of the seasons of the reefs? And stormy weather and low tides with slack currents and such. I'm not a computer programer but don't think it would be that complicated to do something of this sort and have updates as weather changes and such. Just an idea I have had for awhile......I should have got rights to it befor posting.....LOL

I'm not sure about the rest of the brands but Neptune has had varying lighting and temps already built into the programming to mimic natural reef for longer than the six years I've been reef keeping. If you want to mimic real time storms, clouds, and possibly tides you can go crazy and build an arduino controller to hook to your computer to get real time data from different parts of the world and then control your fish tank in a lot of different ways. It has already been done and people are already doing it. :)

I only have a little experience with programming but I think it would be tremendously difficult to make a one stop shop program and chip to control all of these variables. if you had one specific set up that everyone used it would be a little bit easier but with the countless variables and requirements of each individual tank (not to mention the countless possible equipment choices) the software would have to be incredibly dynamic just to give you a chance at controlling everything. the other downside to building something like this is the relatively small market you could actually sell it to. (you would have to find people with the knowledge/equipment/and money).

overall it is a really cool idea and if someone is really interested I could ask my buddy if he would be interested in trying something new (programming the whole set up) but I couldn't guarantee he would have the time needed to develop an alpha product.

Neptune has a full lighting control a seasonal setting that will adjust according to location you adjust the time for. Its pretty cool:eyebrows:

Back