Reef Ready Overflows?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReeferPatt

Who out there has a tank with reefready overflows. You know the ones that skim water from the surface and takes in water from mid level of the tank.
I've heard good and bad about them. Looking for opinions, good and bad. Can't afford to have a custom tank built, almost $4000.00 for one the way I would like. If I ask for a tank with surface skim overflows and drilled for a closed loop the builders say "Oh, that's custom that cost more". So may have to settle for standard.
By the way that $4000.00 is for the tank only, 180 gallon tank, no stand or canopy. Just a little out of my budget....:eek:

I have that and its a little to loud for my wife. She hates it. Constant waterfall.
I would use bulk heads that draw the water from under the water line. (in the plans ;) )

how much is a 180 reef ready glass tank down there? here its about $800 + durso pipes

There are rather easy ways to make your tank silent from the waterfalls, If you want start a thread, lets make your wife happy! :D

I have that and its a little to loud for my wife. She hates it. Constant waterfall.
I would use bulk heads that draw the water from under the water line. (in the plans ;) )

I have an allglass 65 with that type of over flow. I ordered it with the overflow on the other side of the tank for a small charge. No noise from that but my sump does make noise. skimmer return and tank return.
Tom

i have a 125g with the Megaflow system..mine is almost silent...the only noise you hear is in my sump when my filter socks are being washed..when they are in place, my tank is pretty quiet.....$900 also seems high for a 180g..i think i priced one around $600-700 back when i was shopping.. my lfs said they wouldn't charge me any extra for the tank, just cost

I have the Oceanic 58g r/r tank. It has the overflow in the middle, and it is SUPREMELY quiet. I do hear water shooting out the siphon break in the return tube, but i am planning on moving that soon, closer to the water level the system is at when running.
One thing I noticed that helps with the sound of the "washing machine effect" (different than waterfall effect?) is to keep the drain tube as straight as possible into the sump. Also, you might try throttling your pump back a bit if you are getting the washing machine effect, that worked for me until i got the tube straight. now it drops straight from the 1.25" drain through about 1.5' of clear tube into the sump below.

An acrylic tank with a thicker back panel can be drilled any way you want and putting in an overflow can be done.

It all comes down to how comfortable you are with doing things yourself. The more others do for you the more it will cost you!!

Get an old cheap small tank even a scratched one and experiment with it .Try adding an acrylic overflow or maybe getting a hole drilled in it or even in glass tank and learn from that build a closed loop in it and a light over it and that can be your quarentine tank when you get it done.

Bottom line it can be done but all things dont work out quickly.
I bought a used pre drilled 180 glass tank and rebuilt an overflow out of acrylic and attached in the inside with silicone (Lots and lots of it) and even drilled holes and put two Ø2.0" pipes for my closed loop to draw water from inside below the overflow to go up and over the overflow on the outside now and then back down to the pump so it can be done woth 5 holes as I did good luck:)
Paul

I picked up a 150g AGA with dual Mega overflows with all the plumbing and bulkheads already done...plus stand for $500 and thought that was a pretty good deal. We have the standpipes and a mag 18 for a return...as for noise...the loudest thing is the fans in the Current USA light fixture.

Good luck on the hunt...btw...you could buy a tank here and pay shipping to TX for what they were charging.

I picked up a 150g AGA with dual Mega overflows with all the plumbing and bulkheads already done...plus stand for $500 and thought that was a pretty good deal. We have the standpipes and a mag 18 for a return...as for noise...the loudest thing is the fans in the Current USA light fixture.

Good luck on the hunt...btw...you could buy a tank here and pay shipping to TX for what they were charging.

That's what I was thinking....:D I moved here from CA. and could be these prices all day long. Plus get the tank I want the way I want. I do know that one of the stores here marked the tank up over $600.00. When I found that out I decided they weren't going to be selling me a tank any time soon. May just start looking for a used one.

Just thought I'd pass this along. There is a glass tank manufacturer that tours and delivers to different states if you want sompthing from them they will be in arlington texas on 2/17-18/2007 check out the website .
http://www.glasscages.com then look at Deliveries / Show List
You can always give them a call and ask what they will drill and warranty for you !
:)
Paul

Just thought I'd pass this along. There is a glass tank manufacturer that tours and delivers to different states if you want sompthing from them they will be in arlington texas on 2/17-18/2007 check out the website .
http://www.glasscages.com then look at Deliveries / Show List
You can always give them a call and ask what they will drill and warranty for you !
:)
Paul

Thanks for the link. Just emailed them for a quote......:D

Back