Reef safe acrylic scratch removal and cleaners

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
I would like to start a Thread on underwater reef safe scratch removal and general scrapers and pads. There is lots of info on buffing tanks that are empty, so I would like to talk about underwater reef safe only. There are a few products out there that I am sure are nothing more than sand paper...so my first question is does anyone know of a brand or type of sandpaper that use reef safe adhesives to bond the grit to the paper.

What I can off thus far is I have found that weiman brand glass cooktop scrubbing pads do not seem to scratch acrylic when I rubbed fairly hard and even used it dry, and will be using the like in the future. I will report any negatives here if I run into them.

TIA and I hope this eventually turns out to be a very useful thread!

I've read that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original pads are suppose to be acrylic safe.

I have also. my reservation about those is that having used them for household purpose they very much do disintergrate...disolve even, and I don't know if that is reef safe in the long run. anyone know any facts about those?

The threads that I read about them being used was on RC and many people said they have been using them long term.

I plan on using micro mesh sandpaper to buff out small scratches I have. I am going to start this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

how do you plan to do it? by hand...attached to a magnet? cant wait to hear how it goes and am highly curious how fine the 12000 grit is and weather that may be a good option for a periodic buffing, say attached to a magnet.

Last edited:
it is a brand of sandpaper...check out Rockler.com

yes, i plan on attaching it to my great white magnet float.

i will mostly be using 8,000 grit and some 6,000 grit on the deeper scratches.

I just sold an Everclear Scratch Removal kit in the classifieds. The kit uses fine grit pads that attach to cleaning magnets so that you can remove scratches with water and animals in the tank. Grits run from 1500-6000. I used the kit once to get out some annoying scratches and it worked great. First pad use horizontal strokes, vertical on the next, and alternate every pad. 10 minutes is good for the coarse pads. Simply increase the time as you get to finer and finer grits. Takes quite a bit of elbow grease but you can't beat the ease of use.

I've heard of folks using the micro mesh pads but don't have any experience with them so I can't comment. What I will say is that 12000 grit would be an awesome way to buff a clean tank, inside and out. You want to avoid coralline algae though. Fine grit pads are no match for coralline. Scrape it off before using the pads. Finally, when I had my acrylic tank I used the original Mr Clean pads and had no problems. They won't cut through built up coralline or algae but they can buff a clean tank and they work well in corners.

Mike

so, so far we are saying that micro mesh paper is reef safe...but still a little pricey compared to going down to the auto parts store and buying wet sandaper...if its even reef safe.

with the everclear kits, they come with a wax pencil right...what is its use?

I have only seen up to 2500 grit wet/dry at the auto stores, I'd say it is about the same as 6000 grit in the Micro Mesh system. There is 8000, and then 12000. 12K is about as fine as it gets. I have used this system for over 10 years and works great. It is very economical to use. If used wet, it will last a reefer for a long tome. Best way to get rid of scratches is to not put them there in the first place. The ones who carve up their tanks in short order just need to slow down, and use the right algae removal system. Makes me wonder how they wash their cars. Jason

wash my car???? well truck actualy, and I have never washed it since I bought it new 2 years ago..........the shop does it every oil change though. Hey who has the time when there are reef tanks to tend to! tahnks for the info on the diffenrent grits rating also!!!!

with the everclear kits, they come with a wax pencil right...what is its use?

The grease pencil is used to mark a boundary around the area you're working in. As you move to finer and finer grits you allow your area of work to slowly grow until you on the finest grit. At that point you want to be working in a pattern that is just wiping out the grease pencil markings. You don't have to use it. It simply helps you to keep your project from growing beyond where you want it.

:bump2:givin thread a friendly Sunday bump. seems micromesh is the way to go. Can't wait to hear about NC2WA proggess and strategy for usage.

Helpful hint: If you find wet sandpaper in the right grit, get a bunch of it. I used the sponge from a previous scratch kit and pre-cut the sandpaper to fit the sponge. I then used super glue gel to attach the sandpaper. It makes sanding much easier as you don't have to squeeze the sandpaper to the sponge while you sand. You can just glue the next finer sandpaper right over the last one. When it gets too thick, just peel the whole mess off and start again.

it is a brand of sandpaper...check out Rockler.com

yes, i plan on attaching it to my great white magnet float.

i will mostly be using 8,000 grit and some 6,000 grit on the deeper scratches.

Plus 1 and for 15 bucks?? yea baby

MOjo

I've been using some velcro-backed sandpaper for years - I've got two long-spined urchins that can scratch the acrylic a bit.
Can't remember the brand, they are circular-sander pads that go down to 9 microns.

Avoid 3m-brand pads. Their grit-size control isn't good and they can make deep scratches.

I attach sections of the round pads to my cleaning magnet.

Also good for removing corraline accumulations.

I have found that weiman brand glass cooktop scrubbing pads do not seem to scratch acrylic when I rubbed fairly hard and even used it dry, and will be using the like in the future. I will report any negatives here if I run into them.

Back