Reef safe magnets???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

Looking for suggestion where best to buy some strong ones. Need em to hold my pre-skimmer box in place. Rust proof of course :)

Last edited:
Which ones exactly should I get? I really don't know the actual thickness of my tank. Don't wanna have to use a pry bar to get them apart, but strong enough so that I don't have to constantly tweak the box hight.

Here's how the box is sitting now. Using a couple mags from a Korilia 250. Not strong enough as the box keeps moving.
y5avu4uh.jpg

There may be easier solutions, but I might try using some reef safe silicone and gluing a couple ceramic magnets on the inside of the skimmer box, at the bottom and as far apart as you can get them.
Then buy a couple neodymium magnets for the outside of the tank.

Maybe like these?

K&J Magnetics - Products

The thing about neodymium magnets are they are just plain dangerous if not handled carefully.
I made scores of frag racks for people using the 1" x 3/8 neodymium magnets and found out the hard way.
You cannot amagine how hard 2 of those magnets in the link can come together and how far apart you need to keep them if they are not attached to something.
But if you use care, they can hold a ton of weight.
I like the ceramic magnets for the inside, because you can leave them in saltwater forever and they don't rust.

Back