Reef Salt Brands

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reef rider

I've been using Brightwell Aquatics Neo Marine salt for about 3 yrs. After mixing I've tested and found alkalinity to be around 8. I adjust to 10 before adding to my system. I don't seem to see many people using this salt mix, while browsing many threads. In fact rarily see it mentioned at all. This was recomended by my lfs. Has anyone done any testing of the different brands to actually see which brand would be considered optimal for reef aquariums. Looking for actual data. Opinions welcome. Just like any product on the market some are manufactured better than others. I would also think this applies here. Thanks, Tony

There is no such thing Tony as a optimal brand and anybody that says so is just lost and really does not understand what is going on in their tank, even though they think they do. What ever works best for you is the one to use. Many salts doe not test out to what they claim. Based on hobby test kits the closest to NSW is Tunze Reef Salt, then Instant Oceans or D-D H2Ocean. Seachem Aquavito Salinity, is the best analytically speaking and is very close to NSW like Tunze. However, you have to mix it very slowly and at lower temp than normal. If you do not you will get allot of precip as it is a Anhydrous salt mix. SeaChem salt is batch tested and more or less has a guarantee to meet a set of numbers. For example, the Ca++ is guaranteed to be 409 - 433 ppm, Alk 3.2 - 3.8 meq/l and Mg++ 1276 - 1376. They are the only ones that do this.

We prefer Tunze, Brightwell, Reef Crystals in that order. Not too much experience with the Seachem salts. Didn't like the fact that we had too use their test kits or run a conversion formula to get an accurate Alkalinity test. I'm sure its a top notch product. Just an extra step involved in testing.

Thanks Boomer. I guess what you are saying is that some salt mixes are more user friendly out of the box, depending on what you think your requirements are for your system. I guess I'm searching for a salt mix I have to do no adjustments to to meet the normal specs for a reef system. The brightwell salt sets alkalinity at around 7.3 when mixed properly. I find this to be the only adjustment I have to make to be where I feel I need to be, around 10. Other than that everything else seems to be at optmal range for a reef system, as far as I know. I see no problems in my system. Are there adjustments to be made to every salt mix, dependent solely on what I think my requirements are for my system? Am I being to concerned with this, what I think is a low reading for a reef system, low spec.right out of the box. Tunze or Instant Ocean may not need this adjustment, or any?

BRS recommends redsea coral pro thats what i use dont have to adjust anything

I've always used Instant Ocean and was happy with it's consistency from batch to batch. Actually chose it over using NSW here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to Aquavitro a couple months ago from RC. For me RC was good in calc and Mg but the pH and alk were always low. I mix the Aquavitro in cold water slowly over a day and it has better alk and pH that do seem to match what the specs on the bucket say.

I also use bright well and have found the same results. It might have to be switching to Tunze salt because availability for Bright well has become a problem.

I did use Reef Crystals but found I had to make adjustments, with Brightwell all I have to bump is my Alk., and I am OK with that!! :)

Ive been using Brightwell too, and find my mag and alk to me a little low. When switching to another brand should you do it every other water change to make it a slow change or if i do frequent small water changes with the new salt?

Ive been reading alot about hte red sea coral pro and have heard perfect results from numerous people testing. Think I might switch from the bright well to this.

Back