Reef Tank- DYI or Pre-packaged

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijikid

BEVERAGES/APPITIZERS HELP W/ Reef Tank- DYI or Pre-packaged

Hello!

I am in the market for a 55 gallon glass tank with a built in over-flow and I was wondering if I should buy my own 55 gallon glass and drill the tank and building my own box or should I buy something already setup?

Shopping the market I found that locally the dealers have the Oceanic brands with the reef setup available, but I am not sure if the is the smartest and cost effective way to go? Or should I just buy AGA and drill the hole for an overflow and build the box that goes around it?

What do you all suggest?

Thank you all!!

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on if you have the time and tools to DIY it. If you go with a reef ready all-glass tank, you won't have to do anything but set it up. The only downfall would be you'd be stuck with their standard overflow in their standard spot of placing it in the tank as well as a limited amount of flow it could handle of 600 gph. If you DIY' one, you could put the overflow wherever you wanted it in the tank, make it how you wanted it, and also design it to handle as much as you wanted it to handle, but it would take some time to do. I guess that's a decision you'd have to make. Good luck!:)

I am a DYI'r so I dont mind doing the work. Great point on the down-fall of prepackage setup (flow).

Do you think it's cheaper to build your own?

I personally don't know if it will be any cheaper DIY'ing it , but I know it would probably be nicer seeing you'd be able to customize it yourself to your liking. That's would I'd probably do if it were me:)

KRISH75-Thank you for your support.

Anyone experienced folks out there willing to help a fellow reefer drill, plumb and build an internal overflow for a 55 gallon glass? PLEASE!!!

I will provide BEVERAGES (Adult) and APPITIZERS. I live in Seattle and I can I either come to your place or you can come over to mine

THANK YOU!!

ahahhaha, well you can drill a hole at a glass shop for about 20$ ea. as for the overflows, go to a glass/acrilic shop and order a piece to suite your needs, then buy some adhesive and glue. then buy bulkheads and fit them to your holes and thennnnn, play with plumbing. (the plumbing you could prob get some1 to draw you a nice set up as for what you want)..good luck and have fun

I could loan you a diamond hole saw in exchange for some of those adult beverages. :) However, I never drill someone elses tank - only offer advice and support in case of disaster. I've drilled 3 1" holes with success each time. And as a fellow DIYer, I've found drilling, plumbing and building to be as much fun and satisfying as maintaining a beautiful reef! Good luck!

Back