reef theJ

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ya know, for 4 days, I don't think I'd worry too much. Your lights are on timers. I'd just do a regular water change before you leave. I wouldn't even get a tank sitter. Unless this person knows what they're doing, they're more apt to make unneeded changes to the tank if a reading of a test comes out a little different than they expect. Your corals will be fine and your fish will either fine food in the tank or be fine without for that short of time.

the only thing in the tank now is the frogspawn, a cleaner shrimp, a conch, 2 tiger turbos, 1 turban, and a handfull of blue/red legged hermits. Truthfully, I have never fed my tank, the whole 3 months that I have had it. They really keep up on the diatom explosion im goign through with the tek light.

which brings up a question...... My cleaner shrimp is looking a bit pale these days, she molted more than a week ago, at that time she was a brilliant orange, now shes less orange, more of a clear yellow.... Should I give her some food ? Im going to feel like an ass if ive been starving my shrimp to death.

yes feed that shrimp

shrimp unlike crabs and snails are not able to surive on algae they are scavangers and need scraps of uneaten food to survive,and be happy.I know my blood shrimp are the first to greet my hand as it drops food into the tank once a day[they are over three years old].And if i remember right your sump has a sand bed which will also benifit from a little food now and then.

i understand, i will feed immediately, and yea, i feel like an ass. So for 1 cleaner, what would be a good feeding regiment?

And if i remember right your sump has a sand bed which will also benifit from a little food now and then.

Actually I have been slowly removing it, over about a month of time, there wasnt much sand in there to begin with, mostly what was left over from filling the tank. There are 2 little patches left after gradual siphonings and the chaeto polishing the sump as it tumbles.

I agree, it'll eat right out of your hand. It'll also come up and clean your hand....although it feels a lil' strange when it actually gets under your fingernails...lol. I'm serious!! I don't think I'd feed it much or often. Don't want to foul your tank. Maybe give it a lil' frozen food every few days.

Yea, she always hangs out when im doing maintenance, i can go from side to side cleaning or walking around the tank, and she follows me around. once i get in there, shes up on my arm cleaning while i clean the rocks. it was definately odd when she started getting under my fingernails heh

tank looks great...looks a lil bare, I got some kenya and a hairy shroom if ya want..hint hint and maybe a chunk of zoas :)

thanks for the comments! Yea, the tank is still real bare. Still kinda dialing some stuff in, the chaeto finally kicked in and my nitrates have plumeted only recently. Any suggestions on what we should put in next? Im REALLY liking the actinic reactive corals/shrooms! Oh and jake, can I see a pic of your kenya/zoas :p ?

Last edited:
J...heres the whole tank pic :)

mortnks004.jpg

Back