Reeflux 10k's pink?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ellisz

Hi all,

I am getting ready to order some new SE 250 MH bulbs and had decided on the Reeflux 10k's. I am currently using Reeflux 12k's and have been pretty happy with them. Seems as if the PAR on them is not that great per the recent tests so I thought I would try the 10k's. I happened to have a friend with some 8 month old Reeflux 10k's and he offered to let me try them out. They were incredibly pink! After doing some reading, it seems as if the pink color is evident in some bad bulbs but then it seems as if maybe it is not.

I have T5 actinics and I would like a nice clean white/blue look. I don't want pink. I have been considering the XM 10k's but I am not sure if they will be too yellow. Seems like they get yellow as they age and are whiter at the start?

Don't know what to believe :)

Anyone have any expereince?

I would think the actinics would whiten the look and add great balance. I am have 10K with actinics but am considering moving to 12K for a bit more blue. You are probably used to the 12K so it is quite pink now to you. You may get used to it and like it better?

I have also heard about the pink the reeflux may appear and after talking to the guy I get mine from he says those are bad bulbs. I have used the XM's but they were way too hard to get a good set of non yellow XM's. I have loved the reeflux and am about to order my next set. I have not noticed any pink in mine. I absolutely love the color these reeflux give corals. I am not running any actinics with them.

Thanks. I might have to give them a try then. I do worry that I might be to used to the blue I have. Even though I don't consider it to be very blue :)

Maybe I will buy one first and see how it looks before I shell out for 3.

I personally hated the color of the Reeflux 10k's. Mine were quite pink and even when I got a used one and it was pink as well. I ran them with actinic supplementation and eventually traded them out. I have the 14K Iwasaki 175watt bulbs now and have never been happier! I went from the Reeflux to 14K Hamiltons (really blue) to the 14K Iwasaki's (Crisp White/Blue Light). I don't think the Iwasaki's come in 250 Watts.

I used to use iwaski's in 250w, so they do come in that wattage. It also depends on the kind of ballast you use the reeflux on. I switched from the pfo which I ran the iwasaki's and XM on to the CoralVue e-ballast and they reeflux run an awesome crisp, white. I love them and I can say my sps have done great under them. It's the colors that look so good.

I have heard the Iwaskis are nice but no 250's except for 6500k. It is weird as I have heard on more than one board that some are pink and some are not. Weird.

Back