Reefroids

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've never used the MW powders, but uh, your post doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement. :p

I have so few corals that need to be fed (I have a nano), my tank isn't a good comparison I'm afraid, although I'd love to hear somebody else's results.

-Dylan

NaH2O said:
Anne - which MW powders are you using?
Black Powder and Spectra Vital---then the place where I normally get them finally got the one that has both of them combined and I bought that (although I have yet to open it because the others are lasting longer than I thought they would).

Anne

Llarian said:
I've never used the MW powders, but uh, your post doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement. :p

I have so few corals that need to be fed (I have a nano), my tank isn't a good comparison I'm afraid, although I'd love to hear somebody else's results.

-Dylan
Dylan---please know that I know this will sound bad, but I don't mean for it to sound like it will come out.

I didn't intend for the post to sound like an endorsement--I am honestly curious and do want to know the answer--if one exists.

Anne

My2heartboys said:
Dylan---please know that I know this will sound bad, but I don't mean for it to sound like it will come out.

I didn't intend for the post to sound like an endorsement--I am honestly curious and do want to know the answer--if one exists.

Anne

No, I understood you. =)

Was just saying that it'd be an interesting test, but my tank isn't a good one, and that the way you described the MW powders didn't make them sound like something I'd want to try anyways. =)

-D

Llarian said:
No, I understood you. =)

Was just saying that it'd be an interesting test, but my tank isn't a good one, and that the way you described the MW powders didn't make them sound like something I'd want to try anyways. =)

-D
While I am sure that others have used it with resounding success, I am still new enough that I am always on the lookout for something that may work better.

Anne

My2heartboys said:
Black Powder and Spectra Vital---then the place where I normally get them finally got the one that has both of them combined and I bought that (although I have yet to open it because the others are lasting longer than I thought they would).

Anne

Anne - I would suspect that the Black Powder is contributing to your issue. If you look at the ingredients of Black Powder from the website, Marc Weiss Companies - Black Powder, animal by-products is listed. Awhile back I heard the black powder contained some form of beef by-product, but I don't recall where I heard that from (oh rumors, rumors). However, obviously, based on the website, there is some form of animal by-products in it. If you happen to have a phosphate test kit, then put some in salt water (test the water for phosphates before hand) and then test the phosphates with the black powder in it. I'm guessing it's high. Read through this thread Dinoflagellates - if you scroll down to post #12, you'll find another reefer's experience with the same product.

If you feel it is necessary to feed your corals, the reefroids seem like a better way to go. At least, according to the manufacturer, it is made of a strain of zooplankton, and other marine planktons, which sound like a much better choice than fermentation derivites of "Citrus leaves, yeasts, animal by-products".

NaH2O said:
Anne - I would suspect that the Black Powder is contributing to your issue. If you look at the ingredients of Black Powder from the website, Marc Weiss Companies - Black Powder, animal by-products is listed. Awhile back I heard the black powder contained some form of beef by-product, but I don't recall where I heard that from (oh rumors, rumors). However, obviously, based on the website, there is some form of animal by-products in it. If you happen to have a phosphate test kit, then put some in salt water (test the water for phosphates before hand) and then test the phosphates with the black powder in it. I'm guessing it's high. Read through this thread Dinoflagellates - if you scroll down to post #12, you'll find another reefer's experience with the same product.

If you feel it is necessary to feed your corals, the reefroids seem like a better way to go. At least, according to the manufacturer, it is made of a strain of zooplankton, and other marine planktons, which sound like a much better choice than fermentation derivites of "Citrus leaves, yeasts, animal by-products".
Thanks, Nikki. I don't know if what I have is dinos--but I think I will stop using the MW products. I didn't think about the animal by products thing---duh!!!!!!

Reef Roids will have to wait for the end of the month. In the mean time, I will just feed with the Kent feeding products that I have here. I will do a small w/c today and tomorrow and hope that things settle down. I will be gone Fri through sometime on Sun. So far only two fish in tank---a blue damsel and a scooter blenny with a whole host of snails and crabs. So I hope things will be fine while gone.

Anne

Steve-s and Llarian,
Any updates? How are things going overall? What are your impressions of this product?

Nick

So far the impressions continue to be good. My favia continues to look healthier than it every has, and my candy cane appears to be growing again and has substantially more flesh on the polyps than it did a week ago. I've only done 3 feedings so far, but the sample should last me much longe than anticipated, so I'll have a much longer trial period.

I certainly don't have any negative observations.

-Dylan

I've feed my corals twice now with reef roids. I have noticed that my sun polyps have really opened up.

It has been almost two weeks since I stopped using the product and there has been no noticable algae issues. The corals that previously responded to the ReefRoids while using it continue to be more responsive than before but I will admit, not as much.

I guess the real test will be long term use and wether or not the afore mentioned corals reproduce at all and at what time frames that are different than previous if any. At any rate though, I do not see any reason not to use the product even though the time frame I've used it has been short. After a few more months of continued use I think will be the "acid test" so to speak.

Cheers
Steve

Llarian said:
So far the impressions continue to be good. My favia continues to look healthier than it every has, and my candy cane appears to be growing again and has substantially more flesh on the polyps than it did a week ago. I've only done 3 feedings so far, but the sample should last me much longe than anticipated, so I'll have a much longer trial period.

I certainly don't have any negative observations.

-Dylan
Dylan, how did you dose it????

Anne

My2heartboys said:
Dylan, how did you dose it????

Anne

Target fed with a large syringe, after mixing the paste they suggest in the instructions... I'm only feed about 1/4 tsp (dry powder) at a time on account of the size of my tank.

-Dylan

i have been using Reef Roids a little over a week now. I have noticed that my alvepora and sun polyps have really opened up. no down sided yet.

Back