Refractometer, salt brand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jinoue

I'm spinning up my tank this weekend, I'm looking to buy a refractometer and my first batch of salt (I'll be buying RO water, but I don't have enough containers to do 50+ gallons of water to start, so I'm making my own).

It's a FOWLR tank (at least it will be), I know many people use salinity but I feel like that's overkill for my tank.

I was hoping to get some guidance on refractometers, there's a huge variety out there, with many people recommending some random ebay one. I'd rather invest in a better quality unit, assuming it makes a difference.

I bought mine from BRS for $40+shipping. I haven't had a chance to break it out and use it yet, but it seems to be a pretty standard refractometer.

veratex refractmeter ..... 1.020 for a fish only ..... and id go with the salinity for the money and the streching it down to .020 will make it last longer or go for the orange bucket at petco and always mix 24-48hrs before using in you tank also heating it to temp gets a better reading on your refracto

A lot of good choices for a refractometer so far. I use Instant Ocean salt. Can't go wrong.

The orange bucket is instant ocean's reef crystals salt, btw. Purple bucket is normal instant ocean salt.

Following this thread, been thinking about getting a refractometer but no idea which one.

I bought a D&D at OBD used it last night first time ever seems to work good tested 0 on tap water.. and then started testing my tank as i added salt.

i would go with tropic marin sea salt....

The best of the best IMO (others will agree)

The orange bucket is instant ocean's reef crystals salt, btw. Purple bucket is normal instant ocean salt.

Following this thread, been thinking about getting a refractometer but no idea which one.
Ooopps missed that one. I use both salts. I still say for most tanks, especially a fish only, Instant Ocean is priced right and is a excellent salt.

Back