refractometer ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Calibration of Refractometer

Good Day !

After reading all the rec's for a refractometer, I have purchased one. However I have a question on its use, any help would be appreciated.
I read the info on the link in this thread and there was no mention of room temperature (see quote). Do you think the temp in the room is important ?

This is part of the instructions on how to calibrate the refractometer :

"...If the instrument is equipped with Automatic Temperature Compensation system (which it is), the ambient working temperature of the room must be 20 C ( 68 F ) whenever the instrument is recalibrated.."

Ok I'm lost. I need to calibrate it for the first time, how in the heck can I make the ambiet temperature of my livingroom 68 F ????

Thank you for any tips or suggestions for use of this instrument, I'm really looking forward to using it in place of the plastic hydrometer I currently have.

Bonnie

I think what it's suggesting is the room has to be a Min 68F. In other words don't pull the Refracto out of the freezer and attempt calib. (not like you'd store it there anyway). I'm going from memory here based on my directions, so someone else might correct me. Just let it set in the room for a few hours before calibration. BTW: you'll love this. My swing type hydro was about off by about 4 pts. IE: Swing read 1.023 and Refract was 1.027. I love this thing and it's about as easy to use as the swing meters. IMO.

Back