refugium lighting. whens enough enough?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

koyoteturtle

sargasm fish
Hey all I was just curious as to wether anyone could enlighten me as to what is the popular idea on what to use for a sump/refugium lighting? I have a 36watt light with attinics on it just to have some light, should I go mh? Could ya'll just shine some light on the subject for me? I only have macro algae and pods growing in it right now, eagerly awaiting..........

I have a $7 flood fixture with a $9 65k 23W off the shelf home depot bulb over my fuge (30G 24" tall) and my macros are growing better than when I had a 96w PC over it . It all depends on what you are trying to grow in there.

I use a cheap clamp on, goose neck lamp I purchased at Walmart...it has a plastic clamp. It has a regular mogul base and I put one of those compact flourescent bulbs that are made for energy efficient house lighting in it. It works great. I probably should change the bulb to more of a daylight bulb or go with one of the coral life bulbs...but it's working great for me. Total cost for lamp and bulb at Walmart is under $10.00.

Dont mean to hijack but what about a 175 watt MH with a 6700k Bulb?? that would probably work even better than the flood lights right?

Brenden

The fisture you got off of ebay is by Lightd of America and can be bought at Home Depo for $40. I just got one , thought you would want to know

Yeah I saw them. I just wanted some other ones for later use. They were $25 shipped on ebay PS. I hate ebay:D

Back