Refugium lites

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

actinics 10 hours MH 6 hours
I give the whole tank/sump with about 3-4 hours in the morning with no lights at all.from 6-10 am.

mine come on once my main lights go out, about 8:45 and are on for about 12 hours until the lights come on again about 9AM in the morning.

When I had my 120g years ago. I ran them in reverse cycle from the DT and that is what I plan to do with my current system.

How long tho roscoe, did they come on as soon as the display went off?

Yes the fuge lights came on as soon as the DT lights cut off. So I was running my fuge light for 16hrs as I don't run any halides for more than 8hrs a day.

You don't run any dawn-dusk on your display?

I did on the 120. I don't have any supplement lighting for the 270 yet as I have yet figured out what to use to make the canopy look clean. So to answer the question It turns on when the halides go off.

I have yet figured out what to use to make the canopy look clean.

I would use some sort of LED puck lighting.

I run my fuge lights on a reverse light cycle as well. 12 hours a day. My actinics run for 13. My overlap is about a half hour either way depending on my syncronization skills.

I have mine come on a hour before my DT lights turn off at 9. Then my fuge light turns off a hour after the DT lights turn on at 10. As for the light it self is a 6500K cf buld that is in a cheap spot light. The kind you can buy at any hardwear store. Its the kind with the clamp and large silver reflector on it. This has been working great for me the last few years. Everything grows like crazy in there so it must be working. I have had a few people ask me why I run a 6500k bulb and not a 10000k. And my answer for that is when I use to do the freshwater planted tanks thats what you use. So hey why not use it for this. And I have no douts about it because the amount of groth I get.

Sorry to jump in here but where did you find 6500k CF bulbs? I have seen 5200k and 5500k at Home Depot...

I run a 6500k they were 99 cents at Lowes 23 watt. I find Lowes much cheaper for bulbs than HD but i love HD for other things :)

Oh and i run my fuge parallel with display because wife won't let me keep them on all night. If you saw my setup you would see why :D

My lighting was on 12 hours 13 hours actinics but i've switched to 8 hours no sunrise sunset yet just haven't fiddled with timers.

24/7 the smallest nova t5 fixture... like 12" long or something.

Yea I also run my lights for 24/7 with a spare 55w PC bulb... overkill maybe (heh).. gotta keep the calupera happy!

Back