Refugium Set-up Advice??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SB0169

Red Volitan
I just bought a HOB fuge today for my 46 bow. Thanks for the great deal, Tom! What is the best way to set this up... sand, LR, mud, chaeto, lighting, etc. I want to do this right. Thanks! ~Seth

Most people skip the mud, and just go for the really small grain (oolitic) sand. Do a few inches or more depending on depth of the fuge, toss in some chaeto, put a PC light from either your hardware store or a fixture (6500k color) and plug it in. Thats how most do it that I've seen. You might consider buying a bottle of copepods (oceanpods.com) and adding it to the fuge, pouring it into your chaeto.

Do I need to run a different light cycle than my main tank? I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground as far as this goes:eek: The HOB is 25 long x 4.5 deep x 12 high. Where the heck do I get chaeto?

Most people skip the mud, and just go for the really small grain (oolitic) sand. Do a few inches or more depending on depth of the fuge, toss in some chaeto, put a PC light from either your hardware store or a fixture (6500k color) and plug it in. Thats how most do it that I've seen. You might consider buying a bottle of copepods (oceanpods.com) and adding it to the fuge, pouring it into your chaeto.

Oh, so you must have the CPR HOB. Those are cool. You didn't buy the light that goes with it? You can always buy another light that will work. I would put a few inches of sand in the bottom, light on top and chaeto in the middle. I wouldn't use caulerpa, if it gets in your tank it can take over, and is a pain to eradicate.

Julia, Yeah, it's the cpr aquafuge 2 large. I bought it used, so no lght or PH (I need both, if anybody has either for sale!). I could also use a couple pounds each of LS and LR rubble!

Oh, so you must have the CPR HOB. Those are cool. You didn't buy the light that goes with it? You can always buy another light that will work. I would put a few inches of sand in the bottom, light on top and chaeto in the middle. I wouldn't use caulerpa, if it gets in your tank it can take over, and is a pain to eradicate.

Do I need to run a different light cycle than my main tank? I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground as far as this goes:eek: The HOB is 25 long x 4.5 deep x 12 high. Where the heck do I get chaeto?

I would run it on a reverse light cycle from your tank's main lights. Basically, while your tank's lights are on, this will be off, and when the tank's lights are off this will be on. Just make sure its not so bright as to keep your fish up at night. You might even be able to make it so that your tank is VERY dimly lit at night to produce a "moonlight" effect. It should however, be "ever so dim" in your main tank.

Oh yeah, putting LR rubble in there is a good idea too, as it is a great breeding place for pods.

As far as a powerhead goes, you can use pretty much anything small, and connect it with a short length of a hose if the powerhead does not fit directly onto the fuge. If you want the original, I can look at mine and see what it came with to give you an idea what to look for. I personally would use a maxijet 1200 (or smaller)... I know you are pretty far away, but if you do drive by the Burien area, I could give you a small pump to try out.

Oh, and as far as chaeto, you can either buy it at any decent reef store (one clump should grow fast with enough light) or you can post a want ad on here and someone will come up with some chaeto for cheap or free).

Back