Refugium start up attempt #3

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fuge purpose is for Nitrate reduction mostly. Pods would be a bonus.

No I have not rinsed those cubes and had no clue about that...

As for Flow the CPR pump is not good enough? If not what GPH pump should I use?

Fuge purpose is for Nitrate reduction mostly. Pods would be a bonus.

No I have not rinsed those cubes and had no clue about that...

As for Flow the CPR pump is not good enough? If not what GPH pump should I use?

Just start it with just water and see what happens or accumulates. If its ok then add macro, no rock or substrate for your purpose.

Don

I will report back to this thread in about a week or two on status Don.

Thanks all for tips ...picked up a few new things I didn't know.

OK I will put it on the top ring for max wet skimming...

Update on Fuge status:

After being on for almost 2 days...I see particles settling in the bottom if it ...there are very very tiny dark specs on the light green haze on the bottom...its almost transparent that haze...

several of those dark specs have mini bubbles on the tops like pimples...very small bubbles... "cyano trying to grow???!!?"

Don said this would indicate something is up with my water...

API test kits show I have a 20-30ppm Nitrate level color just is a bit off from the 20 ppm mark.

The phosphates are not even showing... Nitetrate only registers on the first color notch of the card.

Ammonia non existent or simply just registers lowest color bar...

Calc and hardness according to my manual are just right...

What the heck is up...? Tomorrow I am going to change 20gallons out...last weekend I did a 15 gallon change...(used the blueS red slime remover prior).

I hope that another very large change will make a difference... I am at my wits end..

Corals are not looking happy ...not one... the only things happy are my fish and the clam...

Your nitrates are to high and if your seeing crud in the bottom of an empty fuge its lacking flow. Lack of flow is going to be an issue. It sound like you like your skimmer but it may just not be enough.

Don

K I will test the water once I get home with it.

As for the Fuge flow ...the pump with it I will have to just change then.. I dont know if you ever seen an Aquafuge Don... I may Mcgyver a flexible neck on the intake to divert the flow to sweep the bottom up ...cheaper route to go...

As for the skimmer ... Are you sure that Coral Life Venturi 220g is not good enough?

I mean its the Venturi type...its pretty huge...

Also I will do a very large water change and adjust that skimmer as you all say to.

K I will test the water once I get home with it.

As for the Fuge flow ...the pump with it I will have to just change then.. I dont know if you ever seen an Aquafuge Don... I may Mcgyver a flexible neck on the intake to divert the flow to sweep the bottom up ...cheaper route to go...

As for the skimmer ... Are you sure that Coral Life Venturi 220g is not good enough?

I mean its the Venturi type...its pretty huge...

Also I will do a very large water change and adjust that skimmer as you all say to.

I would definatly question the skimmer, maybe ask Skimmy's opinion. I really can only speak for skimmers Ive owned which are just asm, tunze, diy and Mr Skimmer.

Don

Update: Fuge had a algae bloom the black specs were just debris and have not spread or grown at all...the light film of nearly transparent green is an algae bloom...

I cleaned my skimmer and did the agressive skimming nearly filling my cup with coffee like skim mate.

Sunday night I reduced it to the dry skim level...and so far nothing is comming out as of monday morning... Nitrates are not registering after that huge change...phosphates and nitrates also....

Also I made a discovery...my ballast was craping out ..I put a new one on and my light intensity has tremendously increased.... corals are happy as of this morning. More vibrant and bloomed.

Final Update for those who may come across this topic and have the same problems.

I extinguished my Fuge problems... in 24 hours. It was starting to repeat its issues ...the red slime was trying to grow on the algae blooms.... Well I put about 3 turbos and 10 Margarita snails in that fuge..

Its clean and no more algae bloom on the walls or bottom... chaeto is doing good. It's never looked so good before.

It seems that I needed to put a lot of snails in that 5 gallon aquafuge. It has solved all my problems in that thing.

Back