Refugium Substrate

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Shark

Killer Blenny
I have a new ADHI refugium that has been running for four months, with gracilaris and chaeto, 3 inches of a sand mixture (part fine part medium coarse), three inches of miracle mud, and topped off with .5 inches of GARF grundge that was added on a whim. On top of this I have about 3-4lbs of live rock pieces. Everything SEEMS to be working fine.

I have read on wetwebmedia.com that it is not good to mix mud and sand substrates, and they should be kept in different compartments. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I change the layering order of the substrate components?

Does this really matter or am I being paranoid? I want to get the most out of my new fuge! :oops:

You had the same refugium setup and substrate? Is it the fuge that is causing the high nitrates? What did you do?

The nitrate level has been consitant for almost 18 month and I have just kept up good cleaning of the live rock and water changes. Everything is healthy and growing so I don't worry about the nitrate unless I see an increase. I have live sand fuji mud and garf grunge/ with cheato.

seperate compartments

The main reason for keeeping your miracle mud seperate is because it must be replaced when exusated,and this is easyer if seperate from the sand.

Back