refugium/sump H.O.T.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I would like the refugium I keep to help lower nitrates and control algae in the main tank. I think I would want a deep sandbed and some type of algae that would consume enough nutrients that no algae would grow in the main tank.

thanks

fishermann said:
Bill get you 4 doz. astrea snails and dump in your 48, they well eat algae off the rock like you won't believe. I don't put crabs in with mine because they well turn the snail over and kill it for the shell. Turbo's knock over to much stuff. Astrea's well clean the rock and poop it out where the current well brake it up and the skimmer well get it and some well be food for the corals
are these the ones http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1291

I'd look at the CPR hang on back refugium, 1. it's quite a bit cheaper and is almost exactly the same thing.. I wouldn't use the mud, I'd toss it.. That's just me.. I would put a bunch of rubble rock in there with some cheato...

Ok, I have been reading and reading a lot on refugiums and I still am at a loss as to how big, what should I keep in it to lower nitrates and keep algae out the the tank! I love this hobby but sometimes it drives me crazy!!!!!

Thanks

idgy - I'd just work with what room you have for the refugium, and try an algae like chaeto and see how it goes. The frustrating part is what works for some systems may not work for other systems. Don't allow the refugium to become a bandaid to other problems, or allow you to slack off on your maintenance/husbandry.

fishermann said:
Bill get you 4 doz. astrea snails and dump in your 48, they well eat algae off the rock like you won't believe. I don't put crabs in with mine because they well turn the snail over and kill it for the shell. Turbo's knock over to much stuff. Astrea's well clean the rock and poop it out where the current well brake it up and the skimmer well get it and some well be food for the corals
fishermann are thes the ones you are talking about http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1291

Back