Refugium ...sumps ..oh my..confused

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

warforged

MMORPG Addict!
Currently I have a 55 gallon with about 50lbs of varied types of living rock. 40 lbs of live sand. Calculations says i have about 38 gallons of water volume.

Lighting: Odysea 36" Hood MH bulb and 2 very long actinic compacts.
432 watts total.

For filtration:
x2 Fluval 205's Media Baskets contain phosphate free carbon all 6 Baskets.
Coral Life Needle Wheel Venturi Protein Skimmer 65 gallon type.

Live Stock:
(Corals), 3 SpS, 4 LpS, and roughly 5 soft corals all frags not huge yet.

(Fish) Marine Catfish (3") Black Clown (3") Tomato Clown (3") Black Damsel (2") Wide Mouth Spotted Gobby (4.5")

(Inverts)L.T. Anemone, Rose Anemone, Bubble Anemone,Curly Cue Anemone, Swimmer Crab, Sally Light Foot, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 Emerald Crabs, 1 Red Crab. (and typical cleaner crue hermits and snails)

First off is my filtration sufficient for Mechanical,Bio, and Chemical?

I was looking into Sumps and refuges (spelling on that i dunno).

I know if I was rich I would have a Refuge sump combo with all the cool plumbing...but I am not rich.

If I made a simple refuge thing lets say 10 gallon to support pods and plants combined with my current media....Will it be sufficient?

Have any ideas that wont break the bank? Am I better off just buying a premade Sump for 300 bucks?

It sounds like your fine with the LR that you have. The sand is more dependant on depth rather than weight. Phosphate free carbon? A refugium will not hurt, its purpose will determine its design and size.

Don

It sounds like your fine with the LR that you have. The sand is more dependant on depth rather than weight. Phosphate free carbon? A refugium will not hurt, its purpose will determine its design and size.

Don

Hi Don glad you are around today. The carbon ive been researching and most have phosphate in them ....I found a product that is Phosphate Free and of all places it was at Petco in Tacoma.

Ok the sand I have in my 55 gallon I think is 3" deep. I am guessing cause I recently went digging for a snail.

If you think I am fine cool.... I Just keep seeing Sumps and Refuge things talked about...and They sound so cool but never knew was it necessary for me.

You say Im fine as is...im happy ...cause that means I dont have to blow more money on this tank. Minus basic maintenance.

Enlighten me, what carbon is claiming to be P free at petco? How long are you leaving it in the fluvals?

Don

Aquatic Gardens Brand. Activated Carbon. The one with No Zeolite in it. The side of the label said. Phosphate Free Carbon for fresh or marine.

I just took out my nitrate bed ceramics out which I have been using since I put on the tank... I have 50 pounds of live rock so I figure I have my bacteria colony there no need for this Nitrate Bed in my fluvals....

This is a test for this month with this carbon. Normally its 2 baskets of ceramic hexagon things and the last basket is carbon with the fluvals. I went all carbon.... I was considering getting a large mesh bag of Purigen for the top part of the basket for Phosphate removal...but I may hold off this month and water test weekly to see how this carbon holds out.

Having that much carbon I probably have 6-8 weeks worth of carbon use.

The thing is with your ceramic thingies and the carbon they are just biological filters thus will create nitrates not reduce them. Your LR is all you need to take care of nitrates. Dont believe everything you read especially regarding carbon. If you want to shop at petco go for the black diamond carbon. If you dont mind going on line try the filterguys or rox from tps. No matter what you use dont leave it in the 6-8 weeks. Two weeks is about as long as I would push it.

Don

Ok ...ill check out the Diamond Carbon next. And depending on water test for Phosphates...if its up ... I will probably try this combo next.

Basket one (purigen sock)
B2 LR Rubble
B3 Black Diamond Carbon

in both canisters.

The 2 weeks on the carbon ? you sure... Cause I have like two bottles worth of that carbon total one per canister.....I figure with that much i can squeeze a month or more out of the carbons...

PS. yah lately I learned about those rings....Nitrate makers...not good =(

Ok ...ill check out the Diamond Carbon next. And depending on water test for Phosphates...if its up ... I will probably try this combo next.

Basket one (purigen sock)
B2 LR Rubble
B3 Black Diamond Carbon

in both canisters.

The 2 weeks on the carbon ? you sure... Cause I have like two bottles worth of that carbon total one per canister.....I figure with that much i can squeeze a month or more out of the carbons...

PS. yah lately I learned about those rings....Nitrate makers...not good =(

The compacted carbon is just going to turn biological just like rock or the ceramic things. Carbon is a quick use disposable media. Take a look at GFO's for P control.

Don

The compacted carbon is just going to turn biological just like rock or the ceramic things. Carbon is a quick use disposable media. Take a look at GFO's for P control.

Don

Waiting for you to reply I was reading the links on water chemistry ...Nitrates and Phosphate issues....

I am finding out that I am doing all I can minus going extreme like buying a Phosphate reactor and De-Nitrator:p

I have some ideas now...and realize I did a bit of overkill on the carbon and wasted it...

I will go with this route in the future on the Canisters:
Top Basket Purigen
Mid basket Live Rock Rubble
Last Basket that high quality carbon you suggest.

So every two weeks I dont have to change so much carbon (20 bucks worth) It may cost me 10 bucks a month instead this route... purigen just can be re-used. Live rock rubble dont have to do a thing =).

Thanks Don for some direction... and I have a better idea what to do with those canisters now.

Now to find Marine plants locally argh...

There should be plenty of folks here local that are willing to help you with marine weeds. Check the livestock forum.

Don

Thanks Don for the information. I will skim that section till I find some for sale.

PS. Wife Called bubble anemone died....double clown pwnage.... ::shock:

Short story..black clown and tomato both camped that anemone ...i knew i had to find another large one soon..larger...I did...but just a few days too late...

Poor bubble got the crap beat out of him :(

since we're on the subject of carbon, how would this advice apply to use of a phosban reactor/media? amount used frequency of change etc. (72g bow, skimmer, sump, 75lbs live rock, live sand)

since we're on the subject of carbon, how would this advice apply to use of a phosban reactor/media? amount used frequency of change etc. (72g bow, skimmer, sump, 75lbs live rock, live sand)

Purigen By Seachem it can be re-used and re-activated. The directions say clean it with a bleach soaking. What you can do is buy a lot and proper bags for it which they do sell.... keep a spare ready so when you change it out...you can clean the old stuff for the next change up.

Purigen needs changing when the beads turn dark brown.

As for carbon: I am learning from the site here with the links in water chemistry section....there is no calculator on when carbon goes poof.

The common advise I am getting is bi weekly to monthly change. The only indicator carbon is done for for sure is stinky water and cloudy water.

After all the reading and advise I have gathered from here and a store owner i know.

The best filtration is ofcourse the natural route...Sump and refuge combo.

Using the refuge with plants and thick sand bed (de nitrifying bacteria) to clean the water....phosphates and nitrates being ate up by this. Live rock support.

I went the canister route which is fine from what I learned...just I have to do more maintenance it seems. And I am more dependent on my deep sand bed and live rock quanity to keep the ammonia/nitrate conditions under control and my skimmer for phosphate.....

In other words I probably will do more water changes than a sump/refuge owner. :p

you sound like you really know your business, like to take to some one that is (expert)
I have just started mine, I have a few fish in there already, (damsels)
I do need a skimmer or any thing for starting more advanced fish
do you know anyone that can sell one cheap the ones in the pet store are just terriblily expensive
thanks,
any information would be greatly appreciated

Back