Relocate Tridacna crocea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

emora

I have been keeping a T. crocea for nearly two years. Its firmly attached to the rockwork in my tank.

A Stylophora coral has grown to the point where its seriously encroaching upon the clam. Part of the crocea's mantle is continuously bent over.

I obviously have to move one of the two. The clam is the best candidate.

This brings some questions to mind:

1) What is the best way to cut the byssal threads away from the rockwork without causing damage to the byssal gland? I dont have much room to work and the rock surface is very irregular. Is there some way to get the clam to extend those threads or loosen its grip on the rock? Can I slide a thin razor/cutter blade betwen the clam and the rock? Will that risk tamage to the byssal gland?

2) I'm considering another sopt for the clam lower in the tank. It is currently about 14" from the surface. It's new spot will be about 20". Could this change in lighting be dangerous for the clam? My lighting is 250W metal halide. I was thinking of lowering my lamp/reflector to reducing the distance from the surface to help make up for the light change. I can easily drop 6+ inches.

Is there anyting else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Enrique

Make the clam close up and gently roll it to one side. You should then be able to see where it is attached to the rock if it hasn't bored too deeply into the rock. Take an Exacto knife or similar sharp tool and cut right up against the rock. Roll the clam gently to the other side to reveal the attachment threads there and cut the ones you can reach. You should now be able to roll the clam a little further and reach the remaining threads.
One note: It can be hard to get the clam to reattach in another location sometimes if the lighting, flow, or rock formation are different.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. i that reaaly helps. i have perfect sccedd to one side of the clam. Unfortunsyely, the other side is flanked by the coral.

I'm going to roll it to see how well I'm able to access the byssal threads from the accessible side.

juanfer, are you the same juanfer on TodoMarino.com ?

cheers to all

Enrique

Back