Remember to Clean your Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sihaya

After about a year of having it pump water to my display from my refugium, I finally decided to get off my lazy behind and clean my SEIO. And OMG! You would not believe the stuff in there! I swear there were at least 2 different species of vermetid snails, 3 to 4 different colors/species of sponges, a few feather dusters, and a LOT of just sludge. I don't know what makes the inside of a SEIO such a happy place for these things, but there were more in there than there were on any other 4 square inches of my refugium. And well, after cleaning it, it runs back and nearly full force (which had decreased to <50% force).

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this as a reminder to be sure to clean your pumps... stuff does grow and live in there! :D

yes cleanin pumps is a good idea

i have a little nano tank and try to clean the pump on a monthly basis (TRY).
i waited for about 2 months once and thats all the time it takes to grow more than i could identify and i also found pieces if chateo all around and in side. i have a mag7 and it sure made a difference after givin it a good cleanin.

anyways good advice all clean ur pumps

Clean your pumps or.......... Your spouse may call you at work saying "Somethings wrong with the tank, Its full of white bubbles!" The translation meaning, the impellar on the return pump has seized to the shaft because its full of calcium and the CL is pouring 4500GPH of water from and inch above surface like lots of pretty water falls.

Clean them at least once a year. :D or else....

Been there, done that! After a month of low water flow and microbubbles I decided to find out why. Took my system apart and found my pump clogged with baby snail shells. Cleaned it out and WOW what flow. No bubbles. Will be faithfully cleaning my pumps regullarly.

Thanks for the reminder, just what I needed to get me off my rear. The two SEIO 2600s, my primary water flow, were almost closed off from Coraline buildup. What a difference!

Thanks for the reminder, just what I needed to get me off my rear. The two SEIO 2600s, my primary water flow, were almost closed off from Coraline buildup. What a difference!

No kidding! And for me it's not just coralline. It's as if a whole mini-reef builds up inside of these things. lol

I've been thinking about pulling my two Seio's and cleaning them since I think the flow has been reduced. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a leprechaun in there :)

Dude, seriously, after seeing what was in mine... I wouldn't be all that surprised if you did!

Back