Removed ugly zoas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
In my previous post about removing some large ugly zoas from between my nice green ones I got alot of advice about cutting them out. Well I tried that today and I had a hard time holding them as I tried to cut under them. So I got out some hemostats to hold them as I cut them out and all of a sudden on the first one it just popped right out from between the green ones. I guess sence they are different zoas the are not part of the same mat, just growing between the others and forcing the weeker ones out. I could just pick them out and they would come out 3 at a time in some cases. I am now just waiting to see how my nice green centered zoas do after that. I did this procedure in a bowl of tank water with gloves and then rinsed them off afterwards and return them to there placment in the tank. I had a few others on a rock over growing some more green centered zoas and just plucked them out with the hemostats in the tank. How this works out well and dont have any die off of my good zoas.

will zoos loose there color or brown out under bad conditions or are there just a lot of less brilliant ones out there?

There are many different brown zoas and palys that I have seen. They will change colors under different light and water conditions, but not to the point where a colorful one will become brown. I have had many change colors in the past, but it is a slow gradual change to a different shade of the same color.

I bought some zoas online and by the time that they got to me they had browned out. They were brown and ugly. It took almost 6 months for them to get their color back which is a light blue and dark blue but they did get their color back.

Cool, glad you were able to remove them so easily. Paly's have always been easier for me to scrape off the plugs. Their mat structure seems to be made a little different and they can almost peel off like gsp's. Worked out great in your case.

Man removing zoas or just fragging them is never easy. You seem to have gotten lucky. I can never remove them without destroying others. :(

Back