Removing corals from rock?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
Just a quick question, that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, just wanted to double check.

If you have a large chunk of LR that has soft corals growing on them, is it wise or in any way advisable to remove said coral from rock by say, carefully cutting it off along the rock where its attached? Or is it a better idea to take a pick and hammed to the area of rock where its attached?

Just a quick question, that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, just wanted to double check.

If you have a large chunk of LR that has soft corals growing on them, is it wise or in any way advisable to remove said coral from rock by say, carefully cutting it off along the rock where its attached? Or is it a better idea to take a pick and hammed to the area of rock where its attached?

My personal opinion is the hammer and chisel option. I like to give the softies somethign to adhere to so that they aren't floating around the tank. Plus, I think this woudl cause less stress which would mean less toxins emitted in the water. good luck!

You could super glues it down to where ever you decide to place it if you end up cutting it off like as in a frag. To me softies as slimy to deal with so chipping rock probably is easier to do.

You could super glues it down to where ever you decide to place it if you end up cutting it off like as in a frag. To me softies as slimy to deal with so chipping rock probably is easier to do.

Ok, Thanks guys.. I just hate to "disfigure" this pretty, coraline encrusted rock. lol. Ah well.

You know coralline is sometimes overrated, too much of it & you reduce the bacteria capabilities of the rock, don't sweat a little loss because of that!

Back