removing metric PVC

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

Anyone have experience either cutting or dremeling out the metric PVC from a skimmer body? I have a skimmer that uses the metric PVC and I really don't want to play the game of finding metric PVC so I want to remove the existing fittings and put in the US fittings. I'll probably use the uniseals once I get the old fittings out.

Thanks for any ideas.

Are these threaded fittings or glue fittings?

If glue, no problem to machine out a bushing. Give me a dimension and I'd be glad to put a piece of PVC in the lathe for you.

If threaded (I assume female threads in the body of the skimmer) I think it would be best to ream it out enough to remove the threads and then glue in a slip-to-threaded bushing. What is the inside diameter of the threaded part that would need to be reamed out?

Hey Don, thanks for the reply. These are actually the male side of a union glued onto the clear PVC going through the skimmer body. I was thinking of removing the existing union, but leaving some material to glue a new union onto. The other option is to remove the fitting and the pipe going though the skimmer body and putting in a uniseal with all new pipe. But I am open to other ideas too. Never thought about grinding down a US pipe to fit into a metric one...I'll have to look at that.

Threaded union or slip? Slip would be real easy to machine-out a piece of PVC to glue on.

Thread would be a bit trickier, but a high-viscosity PVC cement should fill the threads well-enough to get a leak-proof glued connection. I would probably machine-out a PVC fitting to a bit smaller ID than the OD of the threads, and then use a file to take the threads down a bit. Follow that with hi-visc cement and let it set.

Do you think I can just grind down the fitting until it is small enough to match up to a slip PVC fitting? It would be a lot of material to remove since it is a union, but it's doable.

Please clarify - is this a threaded fitting?
If so, I would take off some of the threads with a file, and also enlarge the inside of a fitting to slip over it.

I would be glad to put a fitting in a lathe and increase the ID as much as necessary. Let me know.

Hey Don. This is tough to describe properly. the fitting is a union that is slip on both ends. After thinking about it for a while though I think I am going to remove the plumbing all together and use a larger ID PVC to increase the through put. In doing this I can move to US standard PVC fittings and eliminate this issue all together. Thanks for the offer to lathe the plumbing down....I appreciate it.

Good luck! If you end up needing any of the fittings "adapted" to make them fit, give me a holler.

hey reedman, did you do anything to the metric idea? I have an octopus skimmer that uses metric parts and want to upgrade the pump to something else. But ran intot he same troubles with metric fitting

I ended up just using a hole saw to remove the fittings and put in uniseals. Worked great and it turned out that the holesaw for 3/4 PVC was almost exactly the same size as the outside of the metric PVC fitting coming off the skimmer so it was easy to drill.

Back