Removing/Moving Overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ATP123

Huh?
Hi,

My tank has a middle overflow and I don't really like it and I was thinking or either removing it or move it to the back. My tank is a 125 and there isn't much space for rocks if i had a middle overflow.

I need suggestion of what i should do.

I'm also going to make a new canopy

Find out if the bottom is tempered.. if so go for it. Cut the current box out and put in a corner overflow.... Might even be able to use the overflow box that's in there. It will be some effort but from the looks of it well worth it. I thought drilling and building an overflow would be hard but it was super easy.

Okay, So this is what i'm thinking.

1) Take apart tank and put the livestock in a 75 Gallon and in my 40 gallon Quarantine
2) Put tank in a DIY cart so that it can hold the tank.
3) Cut silicone of the overflow
4) Drill two holes on the front side of the overflow.
5) Silicone the Overflow to the back of the tank
6) Connect PVC pipes from the two holes that was drilled from the overflow to the two holes from the tank.
7) Glue or cement them together.
8) Check if it's waterproof
9) Set up tank

So is this good?

That should work. Assuming you are using 1.5" plumbing, the piping and fittings are going sit up about 3"-4" inches in the middle of your tank. If your ok with that, then covering it with a your rock work is a great idea.

I would just drill new holes if the glass is not tempered. It's pretty easy, you could always bring it into where I had my tank drilled, it cost me $7 for two holes.

Back