removing zoo's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

use a sharp chisel and peel off a thin layer of the rock under the polyps you want to remove just make sure to do this out of the tank and use rubber gloves and saftey glasses.. you dont want to get any palytoxins in your eyes!!:shock:

Matt

how about attaching them to another rock after removed?? I heard superglue works. :confused: I know what that does to my skin when I get it on me!!! :lol: Thanks

I never even heard of a gel type!! Glad I asked before I started this:) thanks for your info!! If I can find the glue I am going to give this a try tonight. Thanks again:D

Dont get cheap gel superglue get locktite or soomething from a model shop there is a diffrence if you dont want to be chasing polyps around your tank every other week. I learned the hard way but hey I have a nice colony of zoas in my sump and overflow box.

Last edited:
Zoas are actually very easy to remove. Sometimes it's even easier than chiseling. Depending on h ow they're growing, it's sometimes possible to remove a portion of the colony by just peeling them off. Do as above mentioned and WEAR GLOVES!! I'd also suggest goggles, although I never do...lol. Zoas are able to actually "spit" when removed from water.

Superglue Gel is the way to go. It's available just about anywhere regular Superglue is available. I usually buy the small 2 packs at Walmart. Make sure you're all lined up with as many frags as possible before opening the glue though. Once you've opened and used it, it's pretty much worthless..lol. I've found it impossible to re-use it after putting the lid back on!!

After you're done fragging, place some small pieces of rock near the colony. It'll spread by growing onto near by rocks, making it easier to move in the future.

ya, try not to cut the heads though, they don't survive as well if u do, lost some blues that way on my first attempt, home depot and lowes sell the superglue too it's like $4 or something for a small bottle but it'll last a while,
and for using the bottle again use a sewing needle or those pins to poke a hole through the dried gel, or cut the top of the nozzle off, though after cutting the nozzle a few times the gel flows out in large quantities and it can get kinda messy

Back