Repair water damage on wood stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Craiz

I've got a 210g tank sitting on a wood stand. I bought the setup used many years ago and was told it is a custom built stand. Not sure how relevant that is. Anyway, the tank has been sitting unused for quite some time and I've noticed an area where the wood has split due to water damage and salt drying.

I'm looking for any recommendations for fixing it or a reference to someone who build stands in Puget Sound area.

what part of the stand is affected. Is the damaged area hidden or visible?
you can probably just sand the area good and fill it with a wood filler and then paint it. depending on where it is.

Need some pics of the damaged area. If it is a support member it may need replacing. If it is none structural it can be fixed as stated above.

The damage is to a support member. I believe the water leaked from inside platform and soaked into the bottom of the stand leg. I'm generally handy and think I could fix it, but I'm concerned about what is sufficient to support the weight.

Attachments

• StandDamage.jpg
    StandDamage.jpg
    23.3 KB
The damage is to a support member. I believe the water leaked from inside platform and soaked into the bottom of the stand leg. I'm generally handy and think I could fix it, but I'm concerned about what is sufficient to support the weight.

You will need to replace the entire side of the stand. That is press board plywood(particalboard) It is beyond me why Aquarium stands are made with this material, Once it gets wet it will expand and then turn mushy, then it will just fall apart.

That's what I though. I agree, it doesn't make any sense to me why stands are built with this stuff. I was quite surprised to see it was particle board when it expanded like that. It has a very good veneer on it so I thought it was solid.

That's what I though. I agree, it doesn't make any sense to me why stands are built with this stuff. I was quite surprised to see it was particle board when it expanded like that. It has a very good veneer on it so I thought it was solid.

IMO I would build a new stand

Back