Reproduction of Pocillapora damicornis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trout

Hi all,

I have three pink Pocillapora damicornis colonies in my set up (see picture below):

P1040538.jpg

The colonies started to reproduce about six months ago. I have now several baby colonies growing in different places. I had to remove one of them from a clam's shell.

I have read about the reproduction behaviour of this particular coral species in Eric Borneman's book. However, what I do not know is whether the reproduction behaviour is stress induced (i.e. a survival response to stress) or as a result of my good husbandry? I guess there is no way to know, but what are your thoughts?

Happy new year. :wave:

I'll take stab, I'm not totally aware of your Husbandtry but from the picture it seems top notched! With that you'll see the fast and healthy growth which would in time creat a tight community thus some stress and need to dominate or propagate a area for in the coral understanding survival. So seeing healthy NEW growth in other areas would (to me) would show a healthy, strong, fighting tank as in the ocean. IMHO

Hello,
In your case it appears to be size related. IME when they reach about softball size or a little larger they begin to reproduce. The sides of Tridacna seem to be a favorite settlement area. I have a couple of colonies on the side of my T. gigas.

Regards,
Kevin

I have had the same problem for the last several months. I have small colonies popping up everywhere! It is really becoming bothersome. They even grow on the spray bar at the back of my tank where there is little light. I am worried about these colonies (which I can't get to) blocking the holes on my spray bar.

That still seems like a Good Problem (oxymoron) but spend a day and collect all the rouge starts place on a plug and sell to support the tank. once or twice a month may put you ahead of there seeding. i've a similar issue with a few sps and lps in my tank and selling, freebies, or Frag Swap is the best solution.. IMHO

yep me too! I have soooo much of that crap in a 120p that I am retreating!!! gonna set up a 300g and move my nice corals there while I allow that junk to take over the whole tank. mine was about the size of a large orange before it decided to go sexual.

I have collected frags, and will offer them up when I can post on the classified page. I have a 220 and they are hard to spot until they grow out. I have used a wire brush on the ones growing in crevices, but they will still grow back. The best way I have found for these is a thick kalk mix I squirt on them with a syringe.

Not sure if someone has mentioned this, but Pocillipora also reproduce via polyp bail out.

Those are beautiful colonies you have.

I will se you at the end of the month for it. I just picked of some chalices and ill need to make room so dont Kalk it.

I will se you at the end of the month for it. I just picked of some chalices and ill need to make room so dont Kalk it.

again, its the size of a grapefruit. not gonna put that much kalk paste in my system. we'll just snip it of at the base and you'll have the whole colony.

Back