Rescaping my tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
i have a 180gallon reef with over 200lbs of live rock and plan on rescaping it... i want to change the look ... any tips o what to do and what not to do? A best practice? Thank you!

Get the rock up off the top of the sand if your using sand. You can do it with PVC or acrylic rods drilled into the bottom of your rock. This will let you have more sand and better flow between and under the rocks and the critters can better stir and clean your sand as well.

My artsy friends gave me three pointers from an asthetic standpoint:

1) Humans seem to finds odd numbers more visually pleasing than even, so three stacks of rock instead of two for instance

2) Try to vary the height so your rock isn't just all the same level

3) Google the Golden Ratio of aquascaping.

Another thing I though of, when I was looking for new ideas on how to do my aquascaping, I looked at pitures of what Japanese aquarists were doing with their tanks. I saw one that was set up as one big giant 'cove'. So I tried to incorporate several small coves into my set up and that is where I found my inspiration.

With some creative stacking you can create lots of little caves and overhangs that the fish really love, and will also provide you with some low light spots for some of your low light corals!

If you can find some Tonga branches to use as the bottom supports. It is great to create lots of caves and keep the rest of the LR elevated giving you greater water flow between your aquascape. Take a look at my build thread.

Back