Rescue Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jnarowe

Beer-a-holic
Check out these rescue fish from a local aquarium:

rescuefish1.jpg

rescuefish2.jpg

Yes, that IS the color of the tank water...something like asparagas leavings eh?

rescuefish3.jpg

rescuefish4.jpg

And regardless of the orange bucket, we should still be able to see the fish right?

I don't know why I get involved with this stuff. Got the message last night and when I got to the aquarium this morning, most of the fish were already in a bucket. Now they are acclimating to my QT tanks.

Once acclimated to clear water I will take more pics and post. These will all be up for adoption so stay tuned!

Hardy Fishies

And regardless of the orange bucket, we should still be able to see the fish right?

Uhhhh.... WRONG :exclaim:

I know how much you love the question and answer game :badgrin: so -- do you know what kind they are?

We know why you get involved with these things, but mums the word -- we won't tell anyone you're actually a nice guy! ;)

Glad you were around to save the poor things -- at least we know they're hardy fish !

sorry, i posted and it evaporated on me.

There is a yellow tail (blue) damselfish, a large pajama cardinalfish, a yellow tang (not so yellow), a cinnamon clownfish (I think), and another common fish that I can't quite tell what it is. Maybe a damsel or pygmy angel. I will post pics this evening once they are straightened out.

Right now they are not eating so there will be some coaxing I think. They are from a retail store that got a tank as part of the business package and these people just don't know anything about taking care of fish and their attempts to hire it out have not been successful. The down-and-dirty is that they got screwed on the deal with horrible equipment and fish keeping is not their bag. I tried to help them but about 1.5 years has passed and I think they finally gave up on it. They should have gotten rid of it a long time ago. Some of you may remember the sailfin that I tried to save? That was from this tank as well.

So...in the end they gave the tank to the Marine Science Center and I will get these fish to good homes.

I hope they all make it... :cry:. Hopefully that tang will go back to yellow once it quits trying to blend in with the green water. I think owners are supposed to sure their tangs have greens to EAT, not swim in! :mad:

At least the owners got in touch with you to save them. Hooray~!

they are really nice people and they knew that I would help them out. I have no problem with that. pictures to come later.

OK, so they are all still alive but not all eating. It seems they don't recognze my food as food?

3 shrooms:

CIMG5907.jpg

Pajama: You can see it is a bit tattered and possibly has pop-eye.

rescuecardinalfish.jpg

Probably a Cinnamon but maybe a tomato:

rescueclown.jpg

Yellow Tang: Decent size and a little whiter than the pic shows.

rescuryellowtang.jpg

Boo Hisssss:

rescuedamsel.jpg

Not really sure what this is but I know it's common for small tanks: He has some wounds inflicted by the clown when they were briefly in a bucket together. :eek: I am fairly confident that if he doesn't die from the clean water, the wounds will heal in short order.

rescuefish.jpg

These fish are available for adoption to qualified PSAS members only. Local Pick Up!

Good evening.. i would be interested in the 3shrooms and Yellow Tang. Anyone interested in others maybe we can share a ride?

Yeah, I got an ID from Barry out in FL..."blue velvet damsel"

Thanks for the link Danno. Here's another: Marine Depot Live

The descriptions vary but these are know to be typically agressive damsels. This one is the shyest of the bunch. It has been hiding in the rock and proved very difficult to even get the crappy pic posted. SInce it was nearly killed by the clown, I have to assume it has been getting harrassed non-stop in its old home.

Please read the links carefully before selecting any fish. :)

food

Maybe you'll have to try some dreaded flake food for the new guys. I bet they won't recognize your quality hand-prepped quisine as 'food' !

Did you get enough garlic in this batch so they could smell it? ;)

funny girl...but seriously, I did have to feed them some flake last night. Only the yellow tail damsel even recognized brine shrimp as food. very strange indeed. The clown, which in my experience, should be a very agressive eater, wouldn't eat anything in front of me, but it is in fairly good health having eaten 9 baby damsels over the last few weeks. :eek:

For a very long time these fish were being starved and only got a miniscule pinch of flake once a day, so they may be environmentally retarded by now. I will throw the whole shebang at them and they will be fine soon enough. I was so wrapped up in the acclimation process that I never tested the tank water for nutrients, but I am willing to bet it was off the charts for the tests I use.

the spirit is willing, but I have no more capacity in my 120 and I my new QT tank isn't set up yet...

David and I came "this close" to adopting another cat last night from PAWS, which would have made 3 cats + 3 dogs, and we're still not out of the woods yet. It's a really great siamese cat that pokes her paws out of the cage to play with you when you walk by. Then if you stop and talk to her she rolls over on her back and purrs...I still want to go get her! :oops:

yeah, I picked up our lynx siamese in the same way. he's a great cat if not a bit too talkative...lots of love in the morning though. I have never seen a cat this affectionate at 6 am. We have a big gray stray that has moved in here as well. He gave me the love eyes yesterday as he was hangin' on the swing chair. And I use the term "he" loosely. I only think it's a he because it's too damn ugly to be a she.

BTW, one more pet in your house and it will implode.

Just a quick update on these fish:

They have not died from good quality water. Yay!! :D

The yellow tang is turning yellow, and the injured damsel is healing nicely. I haven't seen the cardinalfish eat yet, but it is also looking better. The yellow tail damsel is just darting around, eating anything, and quite a sight.

The clown is a little stupid I think. It is healthy and appears to be eating, but keeps isolating itself in the baffles of his tank. He keeps hopping over the edge into the baffle area and today even into the fuge section, which takes a lot of wriggling and pre-meditation IMO, but I just can't figure out why it keeps doing it.

Anyway, they are all on the mend and I figure complete rehabilitation within a couple of weeks at the most. :)

Back