resealing a tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lion-clown

I bought a used tank and am thinking of resealing it because some of the seals look bad. The problem is i have never resealed a tank before. Do you just cut out the silicone and redo it or are there other things that i need to do?

Yes you just scrape off the old silicone, getting it very clean and then re-apply new silicone. Just be sure to get silicone that does not have mildew inhibitors in it.

GE 1 Silicone. Clean it with vinigar prior to application. I masked the inside with tape to end up with a nice clean straight line. Resperator is highly recommended.

Good luck.

GE 1 Silicone. Clean it with vinigar prior to application. I masked the inside with tape to end up with a nice clean straight line. Resperator is highly recommended.

Good luck.

Ditto this! freezer tape works well, also the fumes are not good do see about a respirator.

Thanks so much i just got the silicone out. I dont have tape so i will wait tell tomorrow to put it in.

Well im glad i had the silicone I all ready thanks for all your help. I finished today and will wait tell monday or tuesday to see if it holds water.

Would like to know what most people like as far as for circulation. what is the best way to do it and is resonable price wise

What are your future plans with the tank?
Fish only? Corals(What type?)
think of the longterm outcome and plan for what you need.
How Big is the tank?
Runing a sump?
What other equipment do you have?

Keep an open tab........ lol. Happy Reeffing!!!!!

Corals not sure which ones i have seen a wave maker that made it really look like the ocean but they are really pricey. I will have a sump either a 29 tall or a 40 breeder. and its a 120 gal tank.
Open tab i wish LOL

You can use powerheads for flow, just DONT USE RIO's i had one pop in my first tank and kill almost everything. I would use a iwaki pump for your sump and a couple 3-4 Moded maxi jet 1200-1400's. There really isnt a need for a wave maker per-say when your on a budjet, it would be an extra cost. The maxi's are effective, low cost, low watt, and very durable. On the sump pump, you can get away with a cheeper one like a mag drive 18 or larger, lots of people sell'em for real cheap here on RF. IF you dont have holes drilled in your tank, you will want HOB overflow box, (Which i have one From my old 125 Available).

Is your tank Drilled for overflows?
Let Talk Skimmin! Whatcha Got?
Are you using RODI water?
Now onto lights! Whatcha Got?

My tank is not drilled I Have an HOB overflow from my last tank(55gal)
For a skimmer I have a Turboflotor multi SL rated for 250 gal tank
I haven't decided on water i just moved here from CO and we had pretty good tap water. How is the water here? Do you recomend a RODI unit?
I am looking at getting a light set with 2 250 watt MH at this web site:

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=333&HS=1
What do you think so far

Sweet! welcome to the northwest. Sounds like your gettin all setup w/ equip. I dont know the water on that side of the mountains, i know here the tap is filled with unwanted minerals. I would Alwayse start with the best water possible.(RODI)

The main reason for the popularity of closed loops is theres never a chance for water to overflow if theres a power outage. They offer easy water movement without tons of wires everywhere. But..... Theres no in-home Floods. LoL.......

Closed loops are easy to setup, you will have to do over the back style with say an mag 18. I would look up the hang over the back style Closed loop on this site, ive never setup this style up. They are pretty neat.

What do you think of the light system? Is there a huge difference between those and the really expencive ones.

That seems like a nice light set up, Check out the TEC, and pfo fixtures! i think you will like those. I like T-5's alot more then PC's. ITs all a matter of opinon, you have the right to mine! lol.

Do you know with the tunze wave makers, what you all have to buy for them? I mean I have seen the wave maker box. Does it come with a pump and do you need some kind of controller?

you get the tank sealed yet??? i can prolly help ya fix it i build tanks.

crlaurence in kent ge slilicone part number scs1203

Back