'Reservoirless' top off systems?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

Does anyone know of a reservoirless auto top off system? TO clearify whtat I mean, this would be an RO/DI auto top off system that didn't require a reservoir of fresh RO/DI water to pump into the sump/system.

I'm limited on space and I'm thinking I could use my current 15g RO/DI reservoir for top offs for something else...say a much bigger fuge...this would be ideal. I currently use a JBJ auto top off controller. This keeps the water level constant as long as there's water in the reservoir. Since I travel quite a bit, I needed a top off system that would last for at least 5 days. With the 15 reservoir, my current setup only needs to be refilled once per week. I like this system and it works flawlessly, but my fuge is small. I think if i converted my RO/DI reservoir tank into a fuge, that would be ideal. But in order to do that, I need to figure out a way to do auto top offs another way. Thus the question about a reservoirless auto top off system.

Also, my tank has a water line ran to it. So i never have to carry water to the tank. I just turn the valve on in the reservoir and it fills up. I know this is kind of a long post but any advice would be cool. Feel free to be frank and let me know what you think.

Can't you just bypass the reservoir and hook the water to what the reservoir is connected to?? or is that not RO/DI water? I have my RO/DI (with booster pump and pressure tank) connected to a float valve in my sump. I just adds water when needed. the RO system shuts off (input water, motor) when the pressure is up in the system and turns on when it drops.

that would work, but how do i hook the top off motor up to the storage tank?

I have one of those 3g metal storage tanks that came with the RO/DI unit I bought. You can attach the input line from the RO filter onto the top of the tank and it keeps it full until pressure builds up and stops flow. So i think that's what you're talking about. The thing is, I don't know how i'd hook up the Maxijet (that is connected to the JBJ top off controller) to the storage tank. The output nozzle on the storage tank has a pin release in it just like a car tire would (valve stem). Would I find a hose and somehow glue something together so it would hook up to the maxi jet?

The 3g storage tank is small enough that i could fit it unde the tank. So that's not a problem.

That's what i've been reading as well. Seems most people do this. Don't know why I didn't think of this the first time i designed my current system.

Do you put the solenoid before or after the RO/DI unit?

Reason I ask is I have the water running ot my RO/DI unit all the time. I don't shut off the supply line...i just shut off the output valve so the system stays pressureized. Is the fact that the supply line is constantly open wearing out the RO/DI filters faster?

Last edited:
this is starting to make much more sense. I can use my JBJ ATO to control the solenoids. This will eliminate the need for a ro/di storage tank.

One question remains though. Where do you mount these solenoids? Before or after the ro/di unit...or does it matter?

The output nozzle on the storage tank has a pin release in it just like a car tire would (valve stem). Would I find a hose and somehow glue something together so it would hook up to the maxi jet?

No. The pin release is not a water output. That is there in case the tank ever needed air to be added. The air in the tank helps keep the tank pressurized while water is being used. There is only one water connection on the tank at the top.

you would need a solenoid like Don W suggested instead of the maxi jet. The water line would run to the solenoid from the tank and out to the sump. Power would be supplied by your top off controller to the solenoid instead of the MJ. The solenoid would be activated (like the MJ) to allow water to flow to the sump and when the top level is reached it would turn off the solenoid stopping water flow. If I am thinking wrong anyone just jump on in.

this is starting to make much more sense. I can use my JBJ ATO to control the solenoids. This will eliminate the need for a ro/di storage tank.

One question remains though. Where do you mount these solenoids? Before or after the ro/di unit...or does it matter?

After, your rodi's asv will turn off the waste after the solenoids close. Get two solenoids run them off the same control outlet. One will die eventually and the other will save your tank and house.

Don

asv = auto shutoff valve? cool. I was worried i'd been leaving the supply valve from the house water line open and it was ruining my RO/DI filter.

The only problem with plumbing your RO/DI directly to your tank is that if you ever have a leak, you'll get a ton of fresh water dumped into your tank, causing the salinity to plummet.

If you have a reservoir with a float valve, relay, and solenoid, you can put that ATO on a timer so that it can only fill the reservoir for one hour a day (or however long it normally takes to refill it.)

The only problem with plumbing your RO/DI directly to your tank is that if you ever have a leak, you'll get a ton of fresh water dumped into your tank, causing the salinity to plummet.

If you have a reservoir with a float valve, relay, and solenoid, you can put that ATO on a timer so that it can only fill the reservoir for one hour a day (or however long it normally takes to refill it.)

yeah, i've had personal experience with that. I did a water change once where i left the ATO on and it started dumping lost of freshwater into the system. I didn't catch it right away and my SG dropped from .026 to .020. Not good.

Between the 2 solenoids and a timer, i don't think you'd have to worry to much.

Back