Return backflow during fill/power outage

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdawn66

I'm setting up my 1st reef tank (54g hexagon with a sump below) water is draining into my sump from my return flow tube before I even get my water level up to the teeth through which water drains down to the sump. Is there a one-way vaulve I can attach on the end of the return tube that will prevent water from going backwards? Am I missing an attachment? I would hate to have a fish get sucked down into my pump! Not to mention a flood during a power outage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your return pipe should be near the top of the water level in your tank or you should have anti-siphon holes drilled in it near the top of the water. I used to have a spray bar that went all the way to the bottom of the tank so I had to drill a couple of holes in the pipe just below the water. You don't want to use a check valve as they have been known to fail. Also be sure to drill a couple of holes just in case one gets plugged or a snail happens to be on it when the power goes out.

I don't know how water is already flowing down the return side if the tank isn't full yet. Maybe you could post some pics of your setup that would help.

I don't know how water is already flowing down the return side if the tank isn't full yet. Maybe you could post some pics of your setup that would help.

The tank is close to being full and the return hose is just below the teeth. I let it drain until it stopped and I still have > 2/3 space in my sump so I think I panicked prematurely. I'll add more water and turn on the pump and just keep testing it. Thank you for your reply. And yes, pictures are worth.....

drill a small hole on the inside corner of the top elbow just as the return is heading into the tank. Will stop the back siphoning of the return line.

Yeah, it's the only way I can keep him from jumping up on my dislpay tank....lol I need to update that description though since I've consolidated some tanks :p

Back