Return from sump through Chiller first?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scooterman

I was wondering who or did anyone ever run the return from the sump through their chiller first then back into the main display? Rather add more lines of plumbing & being I plan on using the same pump anyway, I figured I could just plumb the sump return pump directly to the chiller then return it to the main tank! Ideas on this are welcome, suggestions, bad idea reasons maybe? Thanks for any input on this thought!

:confused:

That's how my 38gal was plumbed. Water from the sump went into the chiller then to the tank. Lost a bit of flow like this, but was the easiest way for me to plumb things at the time:)

Well My pump is rated 1440gph, pressure rated & the chiller requires anywhere from 480 to 800 gph! So I need to figure how much do I need to cut back on the outlet ball valve so I don't over flow the chiller, I have it cut back now as I don't always need the extra flow but sometimes higher flow through the sump is a good thing for the coast to coast when cleaning, it works faster. I guess I need to ask If I did run the pump wide open at times of cleaning would it hurt the chiller or just make it not cool properly when running too much water flow through it?

As long as your not building alot of pressure against the chillers heat exchanger there shouldnt be issue with damage cause by to big of pump. It of course is not going to function correctly but if this is just short term, no big deal.
I like the idea of returning it back to the display. What I would concider is wether or not the pump puts heat into the water. Personally I just have a eheim pump in the sump going to the chiller then returning to the display and eheim return pump. The chiller acts as a backup return with less gph.

Don

In time I think I'll switch to the Eheim & get two instead of one. This one pump is drawing 1.6 amps @ 175watts vrs the 160Watts If I used Two Eheim's. The sequence is a big pump, 23ft of available head with the impeller I'm using & isn't silent & does add heat. The only issue I have with using two pumps I'd have to plumb one externally & the other in-sump because I only planned for one pump for the two.
Thanks for the input.

Back