Return Manifold

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yeah, I read that even looked up what a penductor was, just didn't quite process it for some reason. Kinda grumpy right now. hehehe

a penductor is old technology (new to the aquarium trade) that is used in industrial applications to mix liquids. In our appplication is it used to increase flow several fold in exchange for pressure loss (hence the reason you need a pressure rated pump). With the proper pump you can increase the flow by 4-5x on the outlet side without increasing the throughput of the pump. This allows for great in tank flow and still low flow thru the sump.

Would it help my current situation at all? I guess I don't know exactly what a pressure rated pump is. Probably should look it up.

EDIT: MAG don't fit that catergory to well. Though I think they do have pretty good pressure for there size.

Last edited:
So here is the idea...a pressure rated pump is one that can handle a lot of head pressure (or back pressure) on the pump. In this application (with the penductors) you use that extra head pressure to trade for extra velocity. This doesn't change the amount of flow through the pump, but does increase the velocity and spread of the water coming out of the penductor.

In your tank it will increase the amount of flow in the tank and keep the rate that water is passing through the sump lower. Both are good things. The big thing is having a tank big enough to handing the extra flow. Is your tank at least 4 foot long? If so this would be a good plan.

I guess Tunze's are out of the question right? I love my Tunzes! They give a wide stream and can really shake up a tank! I've got 1600 gph coming out of 1 Tunze, 1850 gph out of the other and then it is about 750 gph through a Sea-Swirl (which I think is a great investment for random flow) and about 950 gph (or whatever) out of my closed loop with the mag950. I like closed loops because you can hide a lot, but IMO for me personally, my Tunzes are my best investment so far with flow:)

I chose to do a manifold for two reasons, one I didn't want any powerheads in my tank, and two I want it to be cheap way to give adaquate flow. Keep in mind I am collge student. I like Tunzes though, I just don't want all the powerheads in my tank. Just a personal preference on it. I guess the whole cheap thing is out the window though hehehe. I have a few extras fish thing I will try to sell to buy a pump.

Since money is a matter in this decision, I was looking at sequence pumps since they seem to be pretty inexpensive compared to Dolphin pumps. I was looking a Reeflo Hammerhead, anybody have any experience with these? I am concerned about noise in particular.

the pipe supplying the 7 outlets is what will determine your flow(or limit it) if i understand correctly your running 7 outlets from one pipe?

That is the case. There are seven outlets spaced along the upper frame of my tank. Currently blowing around 100 gph, when I would like them to be blowing at least 300 gph.

I was also considering throwing another pump on to, say another mag 18. What do you think would happen? Just something I am considering.

Last edited:
You can add another pump, but dont put it on the same loop, give it it's own. Mag pumps can put off some heat too so be weary of your tank temp.

Well, if I was to say run two MAG 18 I would like to run them as external pumps. Though I have heard people having them leak on them.

To prevent leaks on threaded fittings just put a little silicone on the threads before you tighten them. It will seam them, but still allow disassembly when necessary.

I was under the impression the mags leaked from the seal of the pumps.

I've had it happen to me on a Mag7 I once had, but not on the new mag950. I think you are more prone to leaking after you've taken it apart once to clean. Atleast that's when mine happened...:)

So here is my new brainstorm. Using a Sequence pump (probably) then running basically two seperate CL on it. It will come out of the pumo and split and go to two seperate loops with a ball valve on each to control the flow. Essentially I want better control over it because each side of the tank will house different corals and will have different flow requirements. What do you think? Does anybody know much about sequence pumps? This will be in my living room.

So here is my new brainstorm. Using a Sequence pump (probably) then running basically two seperate CL on it. It will come out of the pumo and split and go to two seperate loops with a ball valve on each to control the flow. Essentially I want better control over it because each side of the tank will house different corals and will have different flow requirements. What do you think? Does anybody know much about sequence pumps? This will be in my living room.

Sounds pretty cool Daniel. Like I've said before, if I ever went with a big closed loop, the only pump I thought of going with is the Sequence. Never seen one in person or how they run, but have only heard great things...Alberto runs 4 on his tank (dgasmd) and actually has them up for sale last I saw with shipping included. Not sure if you've seen the link, but if not, I can dig it up for ya!:)

Back