Return Pump Cavitation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

so what about upsizing the elbow from 1. in to 2 in. this has to have some value. I have done it on a skimmer output where the only option was to use a 90 and it worked great.

The problem with an elbow other than the restriction is also turbulence. Excess turbulence can cause,air bubbles to form and collapse (cavitation) which are harmful to the impellar and ultimately the pump. Think of the elbow as a fast moving river with rocks in it. Rocks = turbulence. Spaflex = smooth bottom river.

I wouldn't worry about it. These 90's were right in front of the OM intakes and the water hammer was a very rare (if not unheard of) case I've used them over the top and drilled with no problems. You should be fine. Lets not high jack the OP's thread anymore. This is about cavitation on the intake of a pump, not OM 4-way do's and don'ts.

Peppie, since the spa flex comes in a roll and is actually a bit difficult to straighten, I'll bet you can easily plumb it in without a 90 at all in the 14" of space you have

That is the plan as of now. I also bought a few long 90 sweeps, sch. 80. just in case

The hi-jack is a good thing . both Kevin and I are going to use the OM on our builds. Any info related to the OM is a plus.

Last edited:
Back