Return pump for smaller tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I am thinking about tearing down my 20g and setting up a 38g tall in its place. I would use the 20g tank as a sump and was wondering what the best return pump would be?? Mag, Eheim, and GeneX make pumps that are small and relatively inexpensive. Which pump runs the coolest and is relatively quiet?? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Stay away from the submersible GenX pumps. I have one currently and its extremely hot and noisy.

-Dylan

second on the GenX pumps! I have one of the submersables and if you take off the back cover it has quite abit of rust building up in there, I took the first one back and this one's on it's way. it is also noisy, but doesn't creat any noticable heat.. It's still a P.O.S. in my opinion

Not familiar with Eheim but I am familiar with the other two. I have found that GenX suck with head pressure, but run relatively cool. I have found that the mags run much better with the head pressure (again, relative), but have a bad reputation for running hot. I had no problem with noise from either of the two...

Good luck

Take er easy
Scott T.

I'm looking CS50 overflow box from CPR, so would I need to match the pump flow to the overflow?? If so, I will need 300gph.

I'm looking CS50 overflow box from CPR, so would I need to match the pump flow to the overflow?? If so, I will need 300gph.

Yeah...With a pump that small, I'd probably go with a magdrive. I figure the little thing won't generate that much heat, and also, I think for the price, it's a great pump. Make sure you get an aqualifter for that CPR(LOL) I tried to use my cpr without one and it nearly drove me nuts!!!!!

Thanks for the tip ;) Krish, does your overflow rate match the return pump rate?? I'm wondering how much they can be off/ or if they even can be off...

eheim is supposed to be quiet for small pumps dolphins can be also I have one seems very quiet :)

The CS50 does NOT flow 300gph, I don't care what they say. Keep that in mind. I had one on my 20G and replaced it almost immediatly due to it not flowing nearly enough for even the relativly small GenX pump I'm using.

I'd reccomend an Amiracle or Lifereef overflow if you can find it. Or a larger CPR.

-Dylan

Back