Return Pump Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

On my new setup I have a mag 9.5 as the return pump. I need to feed a skimmer and a calcium reactor. I was going to use a seperate pumps to feed them but got to thinking about feeding them from the return pump. I need at least 105gph to feed the skimmer and not sure how much for the Reactor.
If I were to feed both from the return pump would I have to go to a larger pump lets say a Mag12.If I do need to go bigger what size would I have to go up to.

Does this make sense.

MINIATUS :?:
#1 to skimmer
#2 to Calcium reactor
#3 to aquarium

How much gph can you drain from your tank, that could be used as a guide, lets say your limited to 1,100gph return, so you can account for head loss a mag 12 would be nice, but then adding a skimmer & reactor will take up a few more gph so you could go bigger to do it all off one header. In my personal experience, I'd rather feed separately, at least the main return, I want maximum flow circulating top to bottom, but I don't have a refugum so it may be you do want slower return flow. I'd get two pumps if it was my choice, I don't like plumbing up headers for these things, you would have to consider adding ball valves to the reactor & skimmer also to fine tune the flow. I recently removed my split for my skimmer & prefer it that way, nice clean & simple, to me less to go wrong. Now a CL yea I'd want a big header, different situation I guess.

Well I am kinda the King of splitting things off of main lines like that. The one big con min is that when you adjust one thing its going to effect all things. In the case of a skimmer line that may be to much work. If it were me I would feed the calcium reactor off a spilt line from the return and then do the skimmer seperate.

Mike

For the sake of simplicity I decided to feed each individually its ok by Me.
I have a turboflotor which is now being fed off of a small pump which feeds about 105 gph thru it. How much flow is required for feeding a calcium reactor. and what pump would be good for this. the circulating pump is a Mag3.I guess what I was trying to do was clear up space in the sump.

MINIATUS :?:

My reactor is feeding 70ml per minute, so not much at all. Did you know you can feed the t1000 with your drain pipe? No pump needed.

Don

DonW said:
My reactor is feeding 70ml per minute, so not much at all. Did you know you can feed the t1000 with your drain pipe? No pump needed.

Don

what is that in gph. i use to feed the skimmer that way, why i changed i dont remember.

Back