Return pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Since Reef Central did their upgrade (downgrade) many things don't work as it should.
One is the headloss calculator.
I got it to work after entering all the info I needed and placing the cursor in the final box and hitting the tab button on your keyboard. That brought up the submit button, but that doesn't work. You have to put the cursor in the final box again and hit the tab button again on your keyboard.
What a pita.
anyway using these #'s on a eheim 1250 like Cy reccomends
4' up and 1' out, 2 - 90's and 2 - 45's using 3/4" pipe it is suppose to give you approx. 187 gph which is ok but a little high imo for a 10 gallon or even a 15 gallon sump.
I like a slower flow, which gives more time for bubbles to settle out, more skimmer time and more refugium time for the water. And last but very important, less evaporation and less freshwater top offs between water changes.

One thing you should consider is the size of your sump.
A 10 gallon sump is pretty small, so when you pick the pump, consider the sump and the overflow rating.
With higher flow, you are going to have problems.

Do you mean if you are trying to pump water out of the sump faster than the overflow will refill it?

So, I came back from a friend who sold me his overflow and sump (10 gal tank, that i am going to make a refugium with as discussed above.
he had his previous Skimmer from his previous tank a Aqua medic turboflotor t1000. I am considering buying this, but my dilema is with my limited space I cant get a larger Fuge in space I have. so this Skimmer wont fit in the 10 gal. though I see its an in-sump skimmer, I found a couple threads online regarding setting up out side sump, but with controversy of other posters, anyone ever see this done?
I even was trying to configure in my mind a way to plumb Skimmer's Pump within the sump with skimmer standing along side.
if this is a crazy concept blame this novice, LOL for I know not what I am doing yet

the turbofloater can be in sump or hang on the back I had mine hanging on the back of my sump. I just used a egg crate to lift it to a stable level as the outputs tend to leak sometimes. it is a good skimmer i ran mine on a heavy stocked 100gal with a 60gallon sump and water was good.

Thanks lvsuckerfish, and everyone else.......I am one of those inquisitive minds, that wants to know why and how things work or why things are done this way or that :)
so I tend to be bothersome with loads of questions, but give me a couple years and Ill be an expert reefer with you folks :) ha-ha

now with the 10 gal tank that Ill make a refugium, I have seen where the inflow on some are direct to Refugium area with elbows directed at surface or point toward surface of water, and then Ive seen some that inflow enters an "in-flow" chamber if that is what it is called, and baffles overflow to Refugium area. with the 10 gallons I have to work with, I can make a 4" X 4" inflow chamber if it is best that way, I will insert a baffle to make an return chamber for a submersible return pump.
is there a way to determine how high the baffles should be? allowing myself enough room for overflow in event of power failure?

have a look at this page, it has some great info, and even pictures for guys like me :)
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html
This should give you a nice overview of what you are trying to do.
If I understand your question, the refuge side has a baffle (with teeth) and you set this ~ an inch below the top. The other baffles (three or more) are commonly called a bubble trap and are set alternately first on the bottom, next 1 inch up from the bottom and the next on the bottom. With one inch between them. The idea is to lose the bubbles that were gained from the drain and the skimmer before returning the water to the tank.

:)
I can see your concern. It depends a bit on which design you use. My sump has the incomming tank water and skimmer on the left, then baffles, then return section, then refugium. The refuge has no bearing on the height of the water in the rest of the sump.
So the teeth are ~1 inch long and ~1/4" wide. this allows a nice broken flow into the return.
The big deal of course is to insure that the drain from the main tank will not allow more water to flow into the sump than it can hold when the pump is not running. This will dictate your sump run level, mark it with a piece of tape or marker so you can keep the level where you want it.
You are welcome to swing by tonight and have a look at what I have...
-Todd

wow I didnt realize your Local, awesome....I would be interested in seeing your system. I have an Appt after owrk today at 5pm I assume till 6 or so....dont know if that is OK, if not any other day I think I am free.

I live south a bit (Alger) I will PM you contact info.
Tonight 7:30 or later works for me, or tomorrow evening after 6.
-Todd

Back