Reusing Old Live Rock???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

72fishboy

One the “dead live rock” topic, can I add an old rock (out of water for 6 months) into my established tank of 5 years without any process or do I need to cycle it???

i would boil in RODi water... till white white clean

that your good for insertion

It will cycle quickly on it's own. I would be more concerned with ensuring it hadn't picked up any other external contaminants

Agreed...Other than that, a rock sitting out that long is completely dead so it won't affect anything in terms of any die-off. Also, you can do as Jon suggested and boil the rock to make sure you rid the rock of every and anything:)

I would also boil the hell out of it. It will get rid of what ever dried dead mass is in it, or you will have to wait for it to completly dissolve.

Mike

I wouldn't use any chemicals but would probably boil it. Anything that was alive on it, is now dead, but probably a lot of stuff still stuck to it...algae and such. This will all cause problems. Never know, if it's been sitting somewhere dry, may even have spider nests and other nasties in it.

Great advise! How should one store old lr for later use? I have some in a covered plastic clothes bin in the garage. A while back. I had a some rock in an uncovered container on the back porch temporarily. Along comes mosquito control spewing some unknown pesticide. I figure if I can smell it in the air an amount settled on the rock as well. The rock now is an expensive border around some shrubs in the yard.

just boil it in RO water, then let it dry place it in like a tupperware contaioner seal it.. (after it drys) if you lock mosture in the containor you will get mold.

ya man grab it, cook it... dry it, place in SAlt water with some temp and water movement then seed with a shell or something outta another tank

Back