Reverse Osmosis & Deionization

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
periodic disinfection of the entire unit is also recommend. If you ever smell a foul odor DISINFECT right away.www.aquafx.net

How is disinfection done or should I say what is the proper way of doing it?
Another question, it was mentioned that if using an ATO try to limit the short periods of top off & instead set it up to top off using longer production periods, can you give ideas on how to do this when using an ATO?

Sorry revived a long past thread but recently these questions have popped up.

Aso

Every time the water "sits" on the membrane without sufficient pressure to over come naturally occurring osmosis, TDS creep occurs.

Osmosis in a naturally occurring phenonamonm; we REVERSE osmosis by applying a pressure (that is greater than the naturally occurring osmotic pressure) on the raw water side. This forces the water through the membrane, producing 2 streams, concentrate and permeate. The permeate is the water we collect.

Every time you take the pressure off the membrane, osmosis takes back over, and the opposite of what you desire happens.

SO; if you let you tank run low, and have long runs of fill time, you will be much happier, your DI will last longer.

I think I explained that, but I know what I meant to say, so, please let me know if is unclear.

Marianne
www.aquafx.net

How is disinfection done or should I say what is the proper way of doing it?
Another question, it was mentioned that if using an ATO try to limit the short periods of top off & instead set it up to top off using longer production periods, can you give ideas on how to do this when using an ATO?

Sorry revived a long past thread but recently these questions have popped up.

http://www.dow.com/liquidseps/service/lm_clean.htm

Don

Are the coconut carbon block filters better than the GAC filters? In my setup, I recently replaced my filters and have a 5 micron sediment filter, GAC filter, then coconut carbon block filter before it goes to the membrane. My TDS after RO/DI is at 10ppm. My Tap is at 360ppm.

Before I had 2 coconut carbon blocks and I was getting about 12ppm before I changed out the filters (9 months). When they were new I was getting 0.

Could part of the reason why I'm getting higher than normal TDS is because I keep my RO filter in the garage in this Texas summer heat?

The GAC filters can be coconut based or carbon based, it should not matter, carbon removes "liquid" containments. It may alter the TDS a little, due to the conductivity of different contaminates

The fact that the unit was not used and sat for so long, is more likely the culprit. Membranes MUST be keep wet, and the unit could have development some algae. Check the TDS after the membrane (before the DI) and let me know

Marianne
www.aquafx.net

Thanks for that information, recent topics had me reviewing my understanding of what is going on, this will help me design my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back