Reverse osmosis/DI setup??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ksflyer1

Hi all, you guys and girls are great. I know this is my first post, and maybe in the wrong forum, but here goes. As with all newbie marine aquarists, the price of this hobby gets a little overwhelming. The information we have found here is incredible, thanks again. I was originally going to buy bottled water for the initial fill on our new 75 gallon, but finding out it is better to have our own ro/di setup. I was looking at thefilterguys.biz equipment. Does anyone have pictures of their setups including a holding tank for ready to use water, and how a float system would top off the holding tank? I appreciate the help, Keith:D

Hey Keith,

Welcome to the site. Everyone uses a different type of holding tank, its simply a matter of budget, size, color, shape, and what your tank needs. Some of the bigger tanks need enough to accomplish enormous sized water changes and huge amounts of daily top off so they use vats. Others (myself included) only use 5 gallon buckets, or a 32 gallon new plastic trash can. Its completely dependent on your situation.

As for a float system for your tank, you have a couple options. You can use whats called an ATO (Auto Top-Off) which more specifically, is electric. It uses 1 or 2 (preferably 2) float switches to activate a pump that pumps fresh RO/DI water (no salt) into your tank to a set level and then shuts itself back off. There's a number of different brands to look at, some being relatively cheap, others are up there in price.

The other way, which I employ, uses gravity. I have a 5G container that sits higher than my sump, and has 1/4" plastic line running down to a float valve (no electrics) in my sump. The valve is set to a certain level and works awesome and was very inexpensive.

To top off the holding tank, you'll want to do it manually. Reason being, is that the float system that is used with an RO/DI can fail. So, you have the potential for a big flood. Virtually unlimited water supply from your wall, a valve that can fail, and you have a recipe for disaster. Alot of this hobby contains Murphy's Law, this being one of them.

Pics to include, none are mine:
TankEquipment064.jpg

2046976713_b24d300fa5.jpg

2046977693_266b378314.jpg

Last edited:
The pics are great. Exactly the ideas I am searching for. I have ordered the Ocean Reef + 1 from thefilterguys.biz. They were very knowledgeable about what I am doing. They are also sending me a float switch for my holding tank. I will build an overflow tube at the top of my holding tank, that will drain into my floor sump in case of a shutoff problem. Now the holding tank itself. Thefilterguys said to use a Rubbermaid Brute can because it is food grade?? Are there any other styles that are safe??

the float valve will shut off when its full (if you tighten the screw) you will see what i mean.

the rubber maids all of them are the same
Im useing a 45g one.. drill the hole for you line in put your float valve on the other side.. and your golden

Back